S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Tool All The Pro's Use!!
303 Posts
He's talking about the ZZ4 and ZZ430 not the ZZ4.3...both those engines are V8's...look a bit closer next time lol

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
ZZ4 is a reproduction based on the old H.O. 283 Motor. The ZZ430 was a very Limited production ( Duh 430 units ) High Output Small Block. When you consider what your getting with the ZZ4 it's really not that bad a deal. Besides, you get a warranty..

·
Registered
205 Posts
The ZZ4 is the foundation of all of GM's performance engines. It used to come with a Nodular crankshaft, powdered metal rods, and hypereutectic pistons. About 2 years ago, they changed the crank over to a forged unit and left the PM rods and Hyper pistons in there.

Any of these engines with the ZZ4 shortblock are excellent choices.

The ZZ430 uses the same short block but has the GM Fastburn aluminum heads, aluminum intake, larger roller cam. Like said previously, the production number of the REAL ZZ430 was 430 units and they were rated at 430 hp. The ZZ430 was typically sold for between $10,000 and 12,000; they are now worth more as they are considered a "collectors item".

Currently, there are people making an engine they call a ZZ430 but it is not the GM built one. I think Pace and Scoggin Dickey both offer their versions of it. My friend runs a ZZ430 with an LT4 Hot Cam kit in his 1986 Z28 and it is unbelievable. It has to run somewhere in the neighborhood of mid to high 11's on just the engine. On top of that, he has a ProFogger on it; we figure on the spray it should run 10's. Yes, the car is driven on a daily basis and he shifts at 7,000-7,200 rpms and it is STILL PULLING. I am getting ready to do a video of his tach on a run for the non believers on the 7,000 rpm thing.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Here is a picture of the ZZ430 clone my friend built. Notice the lack of belts!! We custom fabricated a mount for the alternator to be driven off of the end of the crank shaft and the water pump is a CSI electric unit.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sweet! How much did he pay for the engine?

·
Registered
205 Posts
He probably has about 5,000 total in it. That includes the fuel system, nitrous fogger, and pretty much everything else you see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.