S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1995 S10 ZR2 Extended Cab
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 Zr2 with rear drums. One of my Wheel cylinders failed and I can't find the right part. Rock auto has one for a high rider and it doesn't fit my truck. Autozone had some for 4x4s and they weren't even close. Do I have any options before I have to find out if my entire rear brake setup is aftermarket?

·
Registered
2003 GMC Sonoma SLS extended cab 4.3L auto 4x4
329 Posts
IIRC, the rears were indeed (OEM) drum brakes. I did a quick search for the wheel cylinder (2WD), and it looks like there are 2 listed:

GM part (# 9213357) which is listed as the 19mm diameter - it is 'discontinued', but has apparently been superceded. Attached is a link to a source that may be able to at least be a jumping off point in the search.

GM part (# 19213356), which is listed as the 22.2mm diameter, which is available, and I've included a link for it as well.

Hope this may help, but I don't know which one you need. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IIRC, the rears were indeed (OEM) drum brakes. I did a quick search for the wheel cylinder (2WD), and it looks like the GM part (# 19213357) is 'discontinued', but has apparently been superceded. Attached is a link to a source that may be able to at least be a jumping off point in the search. Hope this may help, and there's the chance that I could be mistaken. Good luck.
Thanks for your help. I've been driving my grandparents car to work for a week now because my truck is undriveable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help. I've been driving my grandparents car to work for a week now because my truck is undriveable.
Update: I'm having trouble seeing which cylinders will fit since all of the ones look off. My current plan is to see if the bolts and lines will connect up to the ones I bought and if so, I'm probably gonna open up the hole for the cylinders and make them work. Hopefully this works out.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,774 Posts
Can you post pictures?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,359 Posts
Update: I'm having trouble seeing which cylinders will fit since all of the ones look off. My current plan is to see if the bolts and lines will connect up to the ones I bought and if so, I'm probably gonna open up the hole for the cylinders and make them work. Hopefully this works out.
If you're going to go to all of the trouble to bore a cylinder not meant for it, why not just get a cylinder hone and clean up what you have?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright so I got out there to see if the ones I have even line up with the bolt holes and they don't. I'm gonna have to figure out what car these drums came from. The one that doesn't fit is on the left and the one that came out of the truck on the right.
Grey Wood Sleeve Linens Metal

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,359 Posts
Post a pic of the reared...We need to see if the tube gets smaller a few inches from the center section. A pic of the truck might help also.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think that's the part I got and it didn't fit. I remember the one I ordered said it fit highriders but evidently mine didn't work with it.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,359 Posts
What didn't fit? They look the same as yours. If they wouldn't seat all the way into the backing plate, you might try cleaning up the hole it fits into....maybe a little rust/corrosion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What didn't fit? They look the same as yours. If they wouldn't seat all the way into the backing plate, you might try cleaning up the hole it fits into....maybe a little rust/corrosion.
The face of it is too big for the hole and the bolt holes are too big.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,359 Posts
As cheap as they are, have you looked at non ZR2 cylinders at the local parts store? I haven't checked part numbers, but the early ZR2's may have used non ZR2 or 2wd cylinders.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As cheap as they are, have you looked at non ZR2 cylinders at the local parts store? I haven't checked part numbers, but the early ZR2's may have used non ZR2 or 2wd cylinders.
I took the old one with me to autozone and did my best to compare through the bag it was in since apparently opening the bag makes it a used part. It looked completely different to mine so I didn't bother with it. My parents are pressuring me to do a disc brake conversion now but I don't know anything about how to do that.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,359 Posts
I took the old one with me to autozone and did my best to compare through the bag it was in since apparently opening the bag makes it a used part. It looked completely different to mine so I didn't bother with it. My parents are pressuring me to do a disc brake conversion now but I don't know anything about how to do that.
Check the yards. I think later ZR2's had rear disc brakes...it would be a bolt in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Check the yards. I think later ZR2's had rear disc brakes...it would be a bolt in.
Would I need the whole rear end or can I get away with just the brake components? How difficult should I expect it to be?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,359 Posts
Would I need the whole rear end or can I get away with just the brake components? How difficult should I expect it to be?
Get the whole rear end....make your life easy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Get the whole rear end....make your life easy.
Alright. I'm taking it to my mechanic next week as a last ditch effort for drums. Thank you so much for your help I can't imagine owning anything without forum support like this.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts