S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a set of the rancho 5000x for my pickup. The front ones dont extend on their own, you have to manually pull them out. Is this normal? Rears push out on their own, just the front ones stay wherever they are left.

·
Been there Done it
7,820 Posts
Are these stock height shocks or for a lift kit? Does the listing state that they are gas charged? Maybe just gas filled? Or no gas at all?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock height. Every website I go to say they are gas charged. I even called rancho and they said that they should be, and extend on their own. But I sent the first pair back and got an exchange and they are the exact same. The box says non-gas unit. Even though rancho says they should be. Im so confused. It's part number rs55123 if that helps

·
Been there Done it
7,820 Posts
Since they are supposed to be gas charged and are not, send them back.
Lots of companies make good stock height S10 shocks.
For example you can't beat 24-014120 Bilstein B6 Performance Series Shocks and Struts. Summit gets $76 each for them. Never heard any complaints about them. GM used them on some of the handling packages.
I've got trucks with 150K that have them and they're still good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i finally got a straight answer from somebody. These shocks arent actually gas charged. Even though both rancho reps i talked to said they were. They are a hydraulic design. Will that still work though? won't it make for a weird ride without anything pushing back down?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
perfect. exactly what i wanted to know. Wasnt sure if it needed a charged one or not. Or if it really even matters

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jackpot. Ill throw them on soon. The rears went surprisingly well for how old and rusty the ol gal is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did the passenger side with no problem. Drivers side, I cannot get the top bolt out for the life of me. Got the nut off with ease, but the bolt itself is siezed onto the sleeve of the old shock. Put it all back together. That may be a summer project.

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
392 Posts
The Rancho 5000 series are hydraulic shocks. It's the Rancho 9000 series that is gas charged and has an adjustable valve at the bottom to help with the firmness setting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From what I was told the 5000x models are the gas charged ones. I guess they are replacing the plain 5000's. Still weird to me that the rear is gas charged but my fronts aren't. but whatever.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts