S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 2002 ZR2 and I am needing to put a new suspension/steering kit on it. My question is will a standard 4x4 kit work on my ZR2? I know the ZR2 is 3" wider but the guy at Rock Auto was no help. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Ball joints tie rods pitman and idler as well as control arms are all the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Been there Done it
9,214 Posts
Let us know how you got to talk to someone at Rockauto. Usually anything resembling a customer service number is either not in service or there is no answer.

Except for the lower control arms and the center link all other parts are standard S10 4wd of the same year. The additional width is actually the frame being wider. If you are planning on doing the lower control arms you have to be real careful of the sway bar link mounting position. Don't trust the generic pics most parts places use. If it were mine rather than screw around trying to find the correct LCA's I'd just have new bushings pressed on and replace the ball joints. Cheaper too, you just need to find a shop with a hydraulic press to R&R the bushings.
If you'd like more info on the LCA issue read the thread linked below. It seems if you order the wrong part you'll get the right one, as per the last post:

·
Been there Done it
9,214 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello I have a 2002 ZR2 and I am needing to put a new suspension/steering kit on it. My question is will a standard 4x4 kit work on my ZR2? I know the ZR2 is 3" wider but the guy at Rock Auto was no help. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
t
The upper and lower control arms are longer, as is the CV axle. As is the rear end. The ZR2 is the "Higher wider package" you will see that a lot on the correct parts.
Frame of the vehicle is identical to the standard s10/blazer of matching length. Brakes, wheel, bearings, bushings, ball joints, steering parts all the same. Brake lines I believe are longer.
Just did all my suspension/steering last year, on both my ZR2 and regular 4wd Blazer.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
t
The upper and lower control arms are longer, as is the CV axle. As is the rear end. The ZR2 is the "Higher wider package" you will see that a lot on the correct parts.
Frame of the vehicle is identical to the standard s10/blazer of matching length. Brakes, wheel, bearings, bushings, ball joints, steering parts all the same. Brake lines I believe are longer.
Just did all my suspension/steering last year, on both my ZR2 and regular 4wd Blazer.
Upper control arms are definitely the same. Frame is also not identical. It is wider in the front. Hence the wider stance.

·
Been there Done it
9,214 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I agree frame is not "identical" and the control arms are not longer on a ZR2. That would throw the whole steering geometry off.
The extra width of the Zr2 is the front of the frame. The upper control arms are identical to regular S10 4wd. The lower control arms has the sway bar tab in farther on the ZR2, but the length is the same as standard 4wd. The reason the sway bar tab is inboard is because the LCA mounts farther out because of the frame. That's the only difference in the LCA's. If you don't use the sway bar either LCA will work on either one.
Read the link above for more details.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I have a ZR2 frame thats naked and took a lot of measurements thinking it was wider
Same width as 4WD
they moved the mounts for the control arms out to gain the additional track width.
this then necessitated the front axles be longer.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I have a ZR2 frame thats naked and took a lot of measurements thinking it was wider
Same width as 4WD
they moved the mounts for the control arms out to gain the additional track width.
this then necessitated the front axles be longer.
So you’re claiming the control arms are mounted farther away from the frame then a regular 4wd s10 ?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
You better double check that. Too many of us zr2 s for you to have the only one that is different

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,683 Posts
Just so you're not talking apples/oranges, it would help to specify exactly where you are taking the measurements at.

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
I no longer own a ZR2 butI think I'd have to agree with Dime-Dozen here. If the frame is wider, it would require a differant radiator support since there is no step in the front of the frame to narrow it back down to use a normal one. It uses a normal one. It would also require narrower inner wheel wells, it doesn't. Since the lower and upper motor mounts are the same as a normal 4WD, the inner frame must be the same width as a normal 4WD. So either the A frames are longer or they're mounted out further on the frame, or both

·
Been there Done it
9,214 Posts
ZR2 inner fenders are a different part number than regular inner wheel wells and actually have ZR2 stamped on them. And are no longer available.
The upper motor mounts are the same, but the lowers are totally different. They are welded to the inside of the frame rails instead of bolted on top.
ZR2 frame motor mounts extend inward quite a bit:

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
to totally confuse I took some measurements and pics today
first is a 2WD Blazer frame
distance between upper control arm mounts is 31 inches.
width of frame
20200216_162311.jpg
20200216_162517.jpg
20200216_162601.jpg
20200216_162639.jpg
at the front of motor mount is 23 inches
next is a ZR2 Blazer
width of frame just in front of motor mount is 23 inches
width at the upper control arm brackets on frame(at center of slot for the bolt) is 36 inches

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
So you’re comparing a 2wd to a 4wd zr2. Guess I thought this was about a 4wd compared to 4wd zr2

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
claim was made that the ZR2 frame is "wider"
Im showing it isnt.
Sorry all my 4WD non ZR2s are intact so I cant show pics of them stripped down like these 2,only observations that control arm mounts are further out
and lower on the ZR2 which puts the ride height wider and higher that the normal 4WD or the 2WD
As far as the Blazer,2WD (non xtreme)and normal 4WD are same ride height.
A lot of this info is available thru the frame drawings in the GM outfitters section,some of which Ive previously referenced with pics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2003 4wd 4dr Blazer LS, also have a 2000 blazer ZR2. THE FRAME IS NOT WIDER ON THE ZR2! You can read the upgrade specs as to the manufactures upgrades for the ZR2 package. You will find no reference to the frame being different.! My son has an S10 ZR2, I have been working on these vehicles for 16 years. The frames are NOT what makes the difference. Think about it, the motor mounts, body mounts, trans mounts, bumper brackets, rear end mounts, etc. etc. etc. Would all have to be different or altered! The after market bull bar from my ZR2 bolted on my standard 4wd Blazer, as did the trailer hitch. To the FRAME in the exact same way and location. Here is what I know to be an absolute fact to different on a ZR2 from a standard 4wd. I know this from parts I have ordered that have different part numbers, and parts I have gotten from the wrecking yard, noting the difference between the two. Also from Info from Chevy as to what they state are the differences. {COSMETIC; Front fenders, and fender flares. To accommodate the "higher wider stance" and larger tires. The front bumper and bumper valance are the same except for a couple of small holes at the ends where the small front flare bolt on.} I experienced this due to an accident that damaged the front drivers side bumper, fender, rim, and control arms of my ZR2.. {RUNNING PARTS: UPPER & LOWER CONTROL ARMS, and the CV axle, I know because the part numbers are different, and the wrong parts were sent and I could see the difference between the stock 4wd control arms and CV axle and the ZR2 control arms and axle. When they sent the right parts I compared them to the wrong new parts and the original old parts from the ZR2. No debate to it. ZR2 control arms are longer than stock 4wd control arms and axle's PERIOD!} The steering knuckle, bushing's, ball joints, tie rods, axle bearing's, brakes(except brake line hose). were all the same as the stock 4wd. It looked to me as though the original 4wd parts would bolt onto the ZR2 frame control arm mounts! Other than the length of the control arms and axle, everything else was exactly the same.. Its as if GM made a bolt on after market LIFT KIT! The wheel wells are also bigger to fit the wheel size and travel. Think about it, Is GM going to custom weld and engineer the mass produced frame of a vehicle to gain 6" of width and 3" of lift? Or does it make more sense to bolt on a few things (oh I don't know.....like a lift kit?) I did not change the front sway bar, but I did note that there are different diameter's and end bushing's. I can see the location of the sway bar mount on the ZR2 control arm is farther back from the end. I believe the sway bars are the larger DIA. than the standard 4wd. the bushing link ends also seem to be diff., but the length's look to be the same. I have not done much work on the rear end, but it looks to be 6" wider with a 3'' shackle extension on the leaf spring mounts. My experience: Everything about my ZR2 frame and my standard 4wd frame (except the length) look to be exactly the same. (also on the S10) actually there does not look to be any difference in the frames of the 4wd truck, Blazer? other than the length There does not seem to be a lot of difference's from 2wd and 4wd in the frame. Makes sense, Mass produce the frame's with minimal differences to lower costs. Only change what is bolted on to make many different vehicles. The ZR2 is a "higher wider" 4wd package. 6" wider (3" per side) 3" higher with 31" tires. {according to GM} The fender flares extend the body out to cover the width, they extended the control arms and rear end to create the width and height. And they used a standard frame to do it on!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts