S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could really use some advice from someone who has gone through this or knows what's involved. (PLEASE ONLY POST REGARDING ADVICE OR HELP!!)
I got a customer with a 02 blazer ZR2 4.3L 4WD wanting to do a LS swap. Im doing this swap on clock so I want to make it as efficient as possible and avoid vehicle being stuck on hoist or pushing it in and out multiple times.
Basically so far I've been looking at 5.3 LS swap (seems easiest & I'm experienced with LS's) ... I will list questions so it makes it easier to address. Please feel free to add any future problems I may intake.
1.) Engine mounting to trans? position of trans with engine mounted? (do I need adapter(s) or change flywheel? or any other problems that might present itself?)
2.) engine mounts? (any kit for sale? or what modifications will I need to do? - from what I've read it needs to be modified - if so, what modifications needed?)
3.) accessories / belts / pulleys clearance issues? (saw from other thread that its tight and needed flexlite fans... TRUE?)
4.) keeping vehicle 4WD? (front Diff/ T case/ Rear axle - alignment/ mounting/ possible issues?
5.) oil pan (any kit available?)
6.) wiring/ gauges/ ect. (?)
7.) (any other issues I can get ahead of that you guys can think of?)
8.) rough labor time that's involve? (only applicable to people who have performed swap before)

Im pretty much just trying to avoid needing parts or something every corner I turn. If you guys know of anything I may need to consider before I start on it that would be extremely helpful! (ALSO IM A TECHNICIAN SO PLEASE DON'T POST EXTREMELY OBVIOUS CONCERNS OR PROBLEMS THAT DON'T INVOLVE THIS SPECIFIC APPLICATION)

THANKS!!!

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,698 Posts
Moved to LSx Discussion.

I would suggest reading the stickies in this section. I hope he has deep pockets..it's going to cost a bunch. Not many 4x4 swaps out there.

·
Been there Done it
11,257 Posts
Milodon has a pan. Use a 4wd 4L60E trans that came off an LS 4wd truck and bolt it to the engine as it originally was. Or better yet buy an LS engine with a 4wd 4L60E already attached. It will bolt right up to the existing trans crossmember in the stock location. The trans that's in the truck can be made to work with a bunch of adapting, but that's doing it the hard way. Either way you'll want to have the trans built since the combination of more power and 4wd puts a lot of stress on a trans.
Hopefully the Blazer doesn't have the 4 button Autotrac transfer case. It won't like what you're going to do to it.
Since it's an 02 it has the good 0411 computer. CPW can easily build you a harness and provide the motor mounts. But be advised they don't set their harnesses up for the transfer case. You need to deal with wiring that yourself. Not rocket science, but because of the BCM and TCCM it's going to take a bit of time to get it all worked out. You might want to consider an older manual shift transfer case.
I've also heard that CPW's ZR2 LS mounts might need a bit of tweeking to work. But they're the only ones I know of.
Gonna be a long spensive project.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Milodon has a pan. Use a 4wd 4L60E trans that came off an LS 4wd truck and bolt it to the engine as it originally was. Or better yet buy an LS engine with a 4wd 4L60E already attached. It will bolt right up to the existing trans crossmember in the stock location. The trans that's in the truck can be made to work with a bunch of adapting, but that's doing it the hard way. Either way you'll want to have the trans built since the combination of more power and 4wd puts a lot of stress on a trans.
Hopefully the Blazer doesn't have the 4 button Autotrac transfer case. It won't like what you're going to do to it.
Since it's an 02 it has the good 0411 computer. CPW can easily build you a harness and provide the motor mounts. But be advised they don't set their harnesses up for the transfer case. You need to deal with wiring that yourself. Not rocket science, but because of the BCM and TCCM it's going to take a bit of time to get it all worked out. You might want to consider an older manual shift transfer case.
I've also heard that CPW's ZR2 LS mounts might need a bit of tweeking to work. But they're the only ones I know of.
Gonna be a long spensive project.
HUGE HELP! Thanks! I'll keep the thread updated as I go and let you know what I end up doing

·
Registered
112 Posts
HUGE HELP! Thanks! I'll keep the thread updated as I go and let you know what I end up doing
I, too, am doing a ZR2 5.3 build (02' LM7 into a 03' ZR2, just got the truck a week ago). Feel free to check in on my thread. I'll start my rebuild here in the next few weeks. Need to finish my house projects before the wife will let me touch the ZR2.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I, too, am doing a ZR2 5.3 build (02' LM7 into a 03' ZR2, just got the truck a week ago). Feel free to check in on my thread. I'll start my rebuild here in the next few weeks. Need to finish my house projects before the wife will let me touch the ZR2.

are you planning on keeping 4wd or you just running it 2wd?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also the customer wants to keep the t-case on the switch. anybody have experience wiring up a electronic t-case to original switch ?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Keep the original T case from the ZR2 and it will switch just fine. I believe all the wiring between the Transfer Case shifting wiring is not part of the engine harness, so you won't have to make any changes to keep it working.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts