S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
scottymac269
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, not a newbie to the forum, but new to the posting side of it. I have found tons of valuable info on here, and look forward to finding more. I'm not new to the S10 world, this is my fifth S-series (4 trucks, 1 Blazer), but this is my first ZQ8 swap.

I am currently gathering parts I will need to swap under my truck. I hope to learn from those who have already done this swap, and certainly look forward to all positive input and recommendations. I started gathering parts last year in hopes to have it under the truck this year, but unfortunately time got away from me. I plan on taking this truck on the Hot Rod Power Tour next year, so I will be actively getting it ready over the next 4-5 months.

The truck is a 93 reg. cab SB, 2.8 5spd. I'm up in the air on powertrain, but right now the game plan is to get the suspension under it, and if budget allows, then work on power upgrade. One potential thought is an LS Swap, so if something needs tweaked to accommodate a V8, I'd appreciate that input. I know its a truck, so I don't expect it to turn like a Vette, and I don't expect it to ride like a Caddy, but I want a something that I can play with at the autocross, but like I said above, take on the Power Tour as well.

The parts I have currently are:

ZQ8 Front and Rear Sway bars (used)
ZQ8 Front coils (used)
ZQ8 Rear Leaf Springs (used)
Bilstein Shocks, front and rear (used)
ZQ8 Steering box (used)
Belltech 2" drop spindles (new CL find)
Stoptech rotors (new CL find)

I plan to replace ball joints, inner/outer tie rods, and all bushings. A wheel and tire upgrade is something I'd like to do, but at bare minimum tires (I have the 15" factory rally's). I've also considered the Jeep Cherokee steering shaft upgrade to eliminate the rag joint. I plan on using MOOG suspension parts, not sure what bushings to use yet. I have seen a lot of topics on larger brakes, but I haven't had any luck finding a larger brake swap using the Belltech spindle, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate that.

If anyone has any recommendations on the parts I have, or the parts that I should or shouldn't use, tire widths along with wheel/tire combos, that would be appreciated. Also, I am a visual guy, so if you have pics of your truck or setup, I'd appreciate that as well.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Administrator
23,091 Posts
I moved this to the "SS" section since it has the component list. If the op doesn't like it there, he can cut/paste to 1st gen or suspension.

·
Early Member
3,123 Posts
You can swap to Camaro or Corvette brakes. I dont believe the Belltech spindles will create a issue. I have DJM spindles and in the future I am wanting to do the C5 Coorvette brakes.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I basically did the same thing to my first gen 2dr. 2wd. blazer. If you can find a 98-95 3.4 Camaro / Firebird engine it's just about a bolt-in swap. One hundred sixty hp and you can add the 4.3 tbi and free flow for increased power, the 3.4 really makes a difference.

·
the new guy
906 Posts
and I imagine just having the zq8 stuff will make the truck fun at autocross. I used to autocross bmws, and won my classes for two years in a row (d street prepared and d stock), back in the day, with them. I had a street course around the section of town I live in that I used to test suspension lean and tire grip on, when I would do stuff to my cars.

so naturally when I found out I had the sport suspension set up from the factory (zq8), I went on my old route.

the little 98 Sonoma turned very well on totally stock parts and a very very slightly taller tire (60 series tire sidewall instead of 55 series). I was really surprised and have been considering going back to the autocross in it. you can control the turn by breaking the back tires free, just like a bmw. just drift it on around, if you like, or stick it and power out at the end.

I know, old thread. just putting my thoughts in though, from a guy who used to autcross

1 - 8 of 8 Posts