S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 s10 stepside extended cab i want to make it as low as possible while still being able to drive around town with little worries. What would you recommend and if any of you guys have pictures of you s10 or s10x with just lowering no ground effects i would love to see them!!
thanks!!!:rock:

·
Chicks dig it!
9 Posts
If your a little on the wacked side you can get away with a 5/6 drop and drive it everyday, and sorry but you don't have to notch your frame.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Depends on where you live and how your roads are. I have a Xtreme with a 2/2 spindles and blocks and I scrape the front facia almost once a day which is not to bad, but that's low enough for me. I'm also from Milwaukee, so our roads are not the smoothest. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
wait your tellin me that with your 6 inch drop it doesnt hit. ive done many s10s newer gens and older and with a 6 inch drop it hits even with shocks. do you have a notch in your truck with a 6 inch drop?? if you dont id like to see your frame. my buddy has a 6 inch drop in back of his extended cab no notch and hes already bending the frame. well the inside is starting to hit up top. doesnt really hit when driving but on bumps you feel it. especially when he gets on it off the line feels like rear end is coming off for bottoming out so hard.

dont be ghetto bro notch it so you have a better ride.

tony

·
Chicks dig it!
9 Posts
Thats right. My truck is a 96 S10 stepside regular cab. One of the first ZQ8's. I have spindles and coils up front, 3 in leafs and 3 in blocks in the back, no notch. And unless you plan on picking up fatties at the bar, the axle doesn't smack the frame. Sure it rides damn rough, but that probobly has something to do with the poly bushings.

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Bro nothing to do with the poly bushings...Rode in an Extended cab the other day w 5/6 ...NOT FOR MY ASS OR BACK. Frame was notched...Betcha if you look under your truck its the axle hitting the fram..not your bushings.....I'd be real careful doubting 98ss...Dont know anybody with more knowledge about these trucks and drops that do and dont work..

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
these people say they have space id really like to see the axle to fraem clearance pics on this and the frame because ive done a few customers trucks wehre they didnt want to to a notch and rode 6 inch in back. rode like **** and the frame was gettin bent on the inside from the smacking. why lower it 6 inches and have a hard ride thats stupid why not save up the money get a notch and it will ride smooth just my opinion. sure you dont have to notch it with a 6 inch drop but im sure you want to keep your ass virgin right lol so get a notch

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
w/ 3 " blocks and a leaf removed I'd be hitting all the time over the smallest bumps if I didnt have super stiff shocks on there. Forget putting something in the bed.. although the shocks do help a bunch. Parked on level ground WITHOUT the bumpstop brackets removed I have just 3" clearance between the top of the axle and the bumpstop bracket. Put me in the truck and accellerate and I'm sure its atleast .5" lower. btw I just measured it now. :)

·
Chicks dig it!
9 Posts
Boy, sounds like you guys get worked up easily. All I was saying is that it is possible and you can drive a truck everyday with a 5/6 drop and no notch. Sure it bottoms out on the big bumps but it isn't to the point of bending the frame or anything. Anyway, wasn't meaning to ruffle any feathers here.

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
i've riden in a friend of mine's 99 zq8 with a 5/6 before i bought my truck and before he did his notch i dunno about the roads where u live but even without the the bumpstops and brackets around here it bottomed out, axle to frame....HARD we dont talk to much anymore but he never mention anything about bending the frame in our truck conversations......but to get back on topic i'd say a 4/5 on top of a zq8 for everyday driving you'll be ok...i personally would probably do a 3/4 to be safe...and you'll still want to cut out the bumps and brackets so u can have a nice smooth ride.....

·
ZQ8 2001
901 Posts
CynicX said:
i'd say a 4/5 on top of a zq8 for everyday driving you'll be ok...i personally would probably do a 3/4 to be safe...and you'll still want to cut out the bumps and brackets so u can have a nice smooth ride.....
you cant add a 4/5 to a zq8 because you would have to change out your zq8 springs. :confused:

·
I get Stupified
30 Posts
DoubleDown I'll try not to be rude... WRONG!!! I have a 4/5 drop and my s-10 is a 2002 with the entire zq8 package. Instead of me telling you everything, just look at my signature below, it will tell you. As far as a 5/6 drop goes, YOU HAVE TO NOTCH IT! Also, cutting the bumb stops off completely from the frame is damn stupid. VERY damn stupid. on my 4/5 I cut them in half with a sharp knife and It made a hella diffence, a lot smoother. So instead of speculating, I can tell you from experience. ANY drop is driveable, its a matter if you know how to drive it. The guy up there said he scrapes with a 2/2 drop, so he is obviously diving head first into dips.

·
I get Stupified
30 Posts
Cutting them off completely also doesnt give you a "smooth ride". It simply is just allowing more travel. If you want a smooth ride then go with belltech nitro drop shocks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts