S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Opposes body roll
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick question. I just bought the entire 3-piece 3rd shock setup (aka hop shock) from a fellow board member and he was gracious enough to grind the factory axle mounted/welded bracket off for me to use on my truck. Mine is a non-zq8, 2nd gen that did not have that bracket included. My question is, since i have to weld this bracket onto my axle tube, in what position to mount it. without another axle to compare it to, i want to know how much preload was on the shock (if any) in the position that it sits in. I believe that some amount of preload is critical so its not sitting fully extended at rest as that would place some undue amount of strain on the shock when/if the axle tilts back. Should the bracket be completely vertical or is that not an accurit way to measure it?

Jon.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The bracket sits about straight up. You have to compress the shock to get it lined up with the hole. Just go around to some used car lots and look for some. Almost all the newer s10's have the bracket on the axle.

·
Opposes body roll
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the confirmation guys. I've already installed the ZQ8 leafs, so its dropped and in position ready for install. FYI, I was searching around the board and found some good pics of the bracket and its orientation. Here's the pics for reference. They came from an install FAQ from another web site.

http://www.s10planet.com/tech_3rdshock.htm

·
Horsepower Fiend
151 Posts
Does anyone know where to find an aftermarket third shock? Or would it be a dealer only item?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
It's a dealer item only. But some people have gotten away with using a regular shock in its place. You just need to measure the length and find a high pressure gass filled shock to go in there.

·
Horsepower Fiend
151 Posts
If its a Bilstien Im sure it would have a part number. AThanks for the info.

·
Horsepower Fiend
151 Posts
Thats a real good price. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts