S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys;

So I was wondering those folks who are knowledgable on doing a V8 swap on the 2001 S10? Which motor makes the most sense? LS1/what transmission makes the most sense automatic, how difficult is the process? Anyone go through this that can give me some insights? Thanks.....

·
Been there Done it
7,099 Posts
I'd suggest you read all of the posts in both the V8 section and the LSx section of the forum. That will give you a lot of insight into the different possible swaps. The LM7 5.3 LS engine and the L31 Vortec 5.7 have nearly the same output, but the L31 will be much less expensive and require fewer aftermarket part$ to work. But that's the base LS engine. There are many more powerful LS options. Personally I'd avoid an LS1 because they were the first in the series and a lot has been improved since then. Plus they tend to be over priced for what they produce. An L33 or an LQ9 would be better choices IMHO. If you don't have any budget restraints the LSA E-ROD is a very streetable 556HP for only $17K.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Understood and thank you. So if I am looking at say 6000.00 to do this on a budget, is that realistic?

·
Been there Done it
7,099 Posts
That amount should get you thru an LS swap if you don't go overboard on things like $1100 headers and only do what is needed for the swap. If you start redoing the steering, suspension, engine mods, etc that will require additional funding.
Doing a T56 swap at the same time could make your budget tight. Everything needed can approach $3K. Where a well built 4L65E should be half that. I'd try and find and engine with transmission from a Camaro or GTO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check out Driveway Engineer on Facebook, Youtube or his own website. He just did a series on pulling a cheap LQ9 from a pick and pull. $250 engine, $300 harness. I subscribed to the series just to see what he does with it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you have the mechanical skills go for it. What your going to be using the truck for and what your expectations are will probably help you decide on the engine and drive train.
Check your conversations.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I swapped an iron block 5.3 for about $1800. That didn't include the T56 I put in at the same time or any upgrades aside from just putting the engine in.

I could do it for a few hundred less now and in a shorter period of time, but I learned a ton in the process.

I've recently priced out a mostly bolt/drop in route and the part cost quickly hit $8k for a stock engine drop in with the existing transmission.

There's a huge range and if you're going to set a restrictive budget, you will need to put in the time researching and fabricating to make it work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Understand Harley, so in essence you are saying it is about a 8000.00 transition to do it right more or less?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It almost makes sense to buy someone elses who already did the work and is selling it for like 6200.00 , as I see a lot on craigslist.

·
Administrator
21,791 Posts
It almost makes sense to buy someone elses who already did the work and is selling it for like 6200.00 , as I see a lot on craigslist.
Then you have to ask yourself...why are they selling. Bad install, wiring issues, parts that don't work together.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
True sir, so in essence I have to want to be a part of this process, and be committed to doing it as it sounds complicated. The beauty is on this site there are so many threads of those that did an LS1 or LQ or whatever who could I suppose help with the order list of what you would need to make this a reality. The inline 4 I have is so weak but the truck I have is a great example I purchased off a 90 year old guy who kept it in the garage and it looks like new for a 2001. So, we will see. I have the SS wheels and the drop kit, I need the cowl hood and to change the paint. Then perhaps the serious switch to a righteous V8 with dual flowmasters will be a reality.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Understand Harley, so in essence you are saying it is about a 8000.00 transition to do it right more or less?
That's the parts list I came up with. Some of the cost was timing/convenience. $6k isn't crazy and it can be done for far less too, but it's all in what you're willing/able to do yourself or willing to compromise on.

Getting an entire donor vehicle is a huge help to make sure you have all the factory parts you could need. Iron block trucks are easy to come by to use in this way.

Start reading through the stickies in the LSx section to get an idea of the different options. I personally, tend toward the DIY/junkyard/cheap route, but also know how much time/knowledge/fabrication that has cost me in the past.

·
time to get cereal
2,277 Posts
I would definitely upgrade the brakes at the very least, and make sure if you keep the suspension stock, that everything is fresh. Adding more power without addressing the entire vehicle is usually asking for trouble, especially if you plan on "hooning" it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts