S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up everyone? Well, I don't post much on this site but do know you guys know your sh/t. I've got a 1996 Blazer, 5 speed, 4.3 W, 2 DR, Air, loaded and the dam thing runs tops, all I can say. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talkin about....uses no oil and its just a great truck.

So, here are my plans and I need your advice....I put a K/N drop in this past weekend and I can tell a difference....I busted out the CAT tonight and its gone so what about this PCM stuff? Who is the best vendor to buy a flashed PCM from?

Thirdly I'm going to do the Taurus Efan conversion but who has the electronics set up information? Once I get the fan whats next? I'd like it to be fully automatic with no user intervention and shut off when I turn off the key.

So PCM, K/N drop In and blown out Cat.....anything else? I want to keep the OEM cold air as its a daily driver...convince me why I should change and what power gains.

Here is my truck, post #437

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f3/post-a-pic-of-your-truck-right-now-426622/index9.html

I know you guys will steer me right......

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
ive said it once, ill say it again, get a cam. That will give you some power you will FEEL...

yes, keep your stock air box. The only place where the stock setup may not be up to par is the inlet to the box, its a pretty small hole, if you do anythig, open that up some, otherwise your not going to gain anything with a go fast shiney ebay cold air kit. the flex ribs arent going to rob 30 horse power contrary to what someone else may say.

Also get a chrysler concord/intrepid fan. It will fit your radiator PERFECLTY on every side, full coverage. Not just some like the taurus fan will.....they also arent a wire melting energy hog like the taurus fans.

If you felt a difference with a new airfilter then your going to get whiplash if you do a cam swap and tune.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
It sounds like are wanting to stick with bolt ons so here's my advice.

Get either a straight pipe or a fake cat to replace yours. A gutted cat sounds louder but messes with the flow (do a search of why).

Send your PCM to wait4me performance for a tune. The thing about the tune is that it should increase your power throughout your entire rpm band, not just top end like an air filter, etc would.

Get a custom y-pipe made at an exhaust shop. They stock y's have restrictive bends in them and are not that large. Get either a 2" or 2 1/4" one made.

I recommend getting an aftermarket muffler for some more flow. If you want to keep it quiet being your DD, get a muffler like a dynomax super turbo.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like are wanting to stick with bolt ons so here's my advice.

Get either a straight pipe or a fake cat to replace yours. A gutted cat sounds louder but messes with the flow (do a search of why).

Send your PCM to wait4me performance for a tune. The thing about the tune is that it should increase your power throughout your entire rpm band, not just top end like an air filter, etc would.

Get a custom y-pipe made at an exhaust shop. They stock y's have restrictive bends in them and are not that large. Get either a 2" or 2 1/4" one made.

I recommend getting an aftermarket muffler for some more flow. If you want to keep it quiet being your DD, get a muffler like a dynomax super turbo.
Thanks for the info.....checked out your cardomain...nice....ya know where I can get a inexpensive fake cat?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
local junkyard......

find a car with a cat and heat shield. Take the top and bottom of the heatshield for the cat off, tack the heatshield to the piece of straight pipe you put on, and when looking under the car it appears you have a cat.

they should just about give away the heat shield at a salvage yard.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
local junkyard......

find a car with a cat and heat shield. Take the top and bottom of the heatshield for the cat off, tack the heatshield to the piece of straight pipe you put on, and when looking under the car it appears you have a cat.

they should just about give away the heat shield at a salvage yard.
Dude....awesome move if I could find a yard around but where I live there are none! Nice burnout vid .. .. :)
Check out this vid of my Chally after I installed my high flow cats here.....

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
I've only dealt with W4ME for my computer tunes but so far so good, i got no issues whatsoever with mine. I like it. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've only dealt with W4ME for my computer tunes but so far so good, i got no issues whatsoever with mine. I like it. :)
Did ya send in your PCM or did you just get one from him and plug in?

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Just ordered one.......no junkyards around where I live to do the shield trick....like that one a lot....did you just buy a PCM from Wait4me or did you send yours in to be reflashed?
I originally sent mine to pcmforless but after dealing with all their BS I decided to take it to a local GM tuner. I had him tune it for 92, remove TM, speed limiter, calibrate the speedo, etc. No waiting or paying for shipping for me.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
thanks, your challenger sounds damn good... its got that old school chambered pipe muscle car exhaust sound to it......you could almost listen to that clip while watching the movie "bullitt" and not know a difference. ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ive said it once, ill say it again, get a cam. That will give you some power you will FEEL...

yes, keep your stock air box. The only place where the stock setup may not be up to par is the inlet to the box, its a pretty small hole, if you do anythig, open that up some, otherwise your not going to gain anything with a go fast shiney ebay cold air kit. the flex ribs arent going to rob 30 horse power contrary to what someone else may say.

Also get a chrysler concord/intrepid fan. It will fit your radiator PERFECLTY on every side, full coverage. Not just some like the taurus fan will.....they also arent a wire melting energy hog like the taurus fans.

If you felt a difference with a new airfilter then your going to get whiplash if you do a cam swap and tune.
Great information on the fan....so what year and size motor concord/intrepid fan should I look for? I'm heading up to New York Country tomorrow and will look for one...ya sure the CFM is that same as the Taurus?

·
"factory freak"...
8,604 Posts
if you could FEEL the difference with a drop-in K&N,
or any other type of aftermarket filter/intake kit,
all i can say is that you had one helluva dirty paper filter...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if you could FEEL the difference with a drop-in K&N,
or any other type of aftermarket filter/intake kit,
all i can say is that you had one helluva dirty paper filter...
It looked quite dirty when I took it out....you may be right......for some reason I can tell slight differences in power based on experience.....for me with the ole Blazer the difference was in the 3K to 4.5K range...and that's it...just pulls harder now only in that range....everything else status quote....

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
here are the pics of mine for reference. they had several variations, but you want the ones that look like this.

Here it is to the very chopped up taurus fan to give you an idea of the size, on the back of the taurus fan, the blade is about 1/2 in if that to the conrete, so its cut down as much as it can get...

you need to make some small minor adjustments such as hacking off the side mounts and skim the two sides with a flapper disk.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
as for cfm, fan for fan the taurus wins, BUT with the concords you cover 100% of the rad, and with TWO fans, the overall cfm is greater than the one taurus fan.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
here are the pics of mine for reference. they had several variations, but you want the ones that look like this.

Here it is to the very chopped up taurus fan to give you an idea of the size, on the back of the taurus fan, the blade is about 1/2 in if that to the conrete, so its cut down as much as it can get...

you need to make some small minor adjustments such as hacking off the side mounts and skim the two sides with a flapper disk.

Sweet!!! Pictures printed and I'm on the prowl! Next question...whats the electrical set up with da fan...? I'd like for it to be fully automatic if possible...shut off with the key.....does JEGS sell a kit or what do you recommend? By the way nice burn out...I keep lookin at the vid....

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
18,047 Posts
You're on the right track.

For cheap, affordable, easy things, I always tell people to keep it simple. Your engine is an air pump, make it easy to get air in...and out...

Cheap stuff includes, Airbox hack (I made 419rwhp with this intake setup), 2" or 2.25" Y-pipe, decent flowing catback (this does not include Flowmaster mufflers, they dont flow sh*t) and Electric fans.

Otherwise i would say...

Cam, Spray, Gear, Tune

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're on the right track.

For cheap, affordable, easy things, I always tell people to keep it simple. Your engine is an air pump, make it easy to get air in...and out...

Cheap stuff includes, Airbox hack (I made 419rwhp with this intake setup), 2" or 2.25" Y-pipe, decent flowing catback (this does not include Flowmaster mufflers, they dont flow sh*t) and Electric fans.

Otherwise i would say...

Cam, Spray, Gear, Tune
Tell me more about the Airbox Hack...........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts