S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been hearing a bad hissing , like a vac leak on the truck . I pulled the egr tonight to clean it and found there was no gasket on there , hissing was coming from backside . So I have the egr soaking right now and went and got a gasket . Kinda thinking "hoping" it was some of the problem with the missing and all being a big air leak there .
Also got new plugs , the old ones are rusted up real bad on outside and black carbon or something all over the tips . The egr was almost plugged up also .

·
2,679 Posts
If you still have the EGR off, spray the exhust port real good and let it sit in there for a while. Some use pipe cleanners to help break up all that crap. I take the hose to the port on the egr and wash it out a bit.
Start the engine and let it run for a few seconds to let it blow all that crap out on the exhust port. Then reinstall the egr.
I usually run a bunch of carb cleanner through the throttle plate before changing the plugs so I don't have to worry about fouling them out.

Hopefully fixing the egr leak will end your idle and performance woes!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got it back together this morning bout 6am . Installed new plugs and it even smokes less , idles alot better . Haven't got to take it down the road yet , no bed or front end on it right now . But will run it later tonight anyways ..lol

·
2,679 Posts
That's why a vacuum gauge is such a time and money savior on these engines.

·
2,679 Posts
Man, how much time, energy, and stress you would have saved....
With the 4.3 you really need access to:
A volt/ohm meter
Fuel pressure gauge
And a vacuum gauge
Replacing the hair you pull out is just to expensive.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no hair to pull out ..lol Shaved head year round ...
But on the other hand I could have saved a lot of cussing and stress , just ask the old lady .. I didn't make it to town , some friends coming over for ribs and burgers , he owns a bodyshop . "hint hint " .. Know what is coming next ..

But I will pick one up real some . Thanks Bill.

P.S
You really meant how much I would have saved you from pulling out right ???

·
2,679 Posts
No, I just want to see you get it running good!
Take something that was destoined to be scrapped into a future washing machines and make it into an eye catcher ride. Otherwise I could give a ....

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is my plan , hopefully it will work out . It has came along ways already thanks to help from this forum and you and yogi .
I am going to try the Dizzy gasket today and maybe that will work out ok . Never pulled one in the truck like that . Only ones I have done where when building the motor and someone else was timing it .
I know I need to mark the position of it with the motor , and the position of the rotor also , so maybe it will go back ok . If not you do know that will just be more question for you .. LOL
Thanks again

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once again there was no gasket there . I swear the idiot that built this motor was a true idiot . Cheaped out on 2 gaskets , egr = $1.08 ..... Dizzy gasket = $0.96 . What is wrong with people ? Can spend $200 on a cam but not $2 on gaskets ...
It smokes even less now . LOL . Guess I put the dizzy back a tad diff than it was (one of my marks got rubbed off) , but it runs alot better now than before . Only took me maybe 10 minutes to do ..

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure did . You wouldn't beleive the carbon build up in there . The sqaure hole on the egr was almost closed up from the build up .

Also when I pulled the dizzy I cleaned before re-installing it . Well the first time I slipped it in and pulled it back out just to see how gunky it was down there , just sliding it in and right back out and it had chuncks of gunk all over the gear . Man this motor must be full of it . I know the heads are on the top . Going to pull the valve covers later today and try to clean some of it out with the scaper and the crevis tool on the shop vac .lol
unless you know a better way without pulling them

·
2,679 Posts
Frequent oil changes.
They make a lot of products for flushing the block out, but I don't usually recommend doing that unless you have too.
The big problem is when you break the crap down to small enough particles that they can fit into the bearing races and destoy your bearings. It is probably the biggest reason for premature bearing failure in a combustion engine running good oil.
A few oil changes is not nearly as expensive.

Just my view!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They where already plugged , with gunk . But all is good and clear now . Will change the oil again next weekend since it doesn't get driven shouldn't hurt it .
BOut time I had some good luck huh ? Never knew what it was like before ..lol

·
2,679 Posts
If it's that bad then you may want to look into a flush. I can't recommend any, but I'm sure someone around here has a good one.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bad part is I flushed it already once about a month ago , and don't even drive it . It has had maybe 5 miles if that put on it since I bought it . It does idle some though . I start it and let it run a few times a week

1 - 20 of 39 Posts