S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't plan to use A/C in my 2002 pickup build. (It's Colorado, we hardly sweat).

Anyway, the question: did any S-10 pickup NOT come with A/C?

I want the firewall-side heater box cover and they're just not to be found, at least by me.

They DO exist, right?

Thanks...

·
time to get cereal
2,268 Posts
I believe 2001 was the last year for non-AC trucks, but lucky for you a 2002 isn't any different.

The 4.3L uses an idler pulley in place of the compressor, the 2.2L just uses a shorter belt.

Controls:

Blower Box and Blower Motor (it's different too)

Recirculation door block-off

·
Been there Done it
6,945 Posts
Can't you just leave the A/C controls on the dash. I did that on a 1st gen and everything worked fine. Of course when you set it to A/C nothing happened, but everything else functioned as normal.
On the 1st gen you gained 1 blower speed if you changed the resistor on the motor because non A/C only had lo, med, & hi.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Can't you just leave the A/C controls on the dash. I did that on a 1st gen and everything worked fine. Of course when you set it to A/C nothing happened, but everything else functioned as normal.
You're right. Don't need the controls or the recirculation block off panel, but some people want it all, so I grab whatever is there to resell. Well I don't grab the motor or resistor because the yards charge close enough to new prices on those it isn't worth it.

At a minimum you need the firewall housing and blower motor. The resistor is the same for the 2nd gen between the AC and no AC.

On the 1st gen you gained 1 blower speed if you changed the resistor on the motor because non A/C only had lo, med, & hi.
That might be the case on the earlier 1st Gen, but the later interior style has the same number of fan speeds between the 2.

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,096 Posts
I believe 2001 was the last year for non-AC trucks, but lucky for you a 2002 isn't any different.

The 4.3L uses an idler pulley in place of the compressor, the 2.2L just uses a shorter belt.

Controls:

Blower Box and Blower Motor (it's different too)

Recirculation door block-off

Wow! I’ve never seen a second gen w/o AC

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,096 Posts
Yeah,I’ve only seen it on box bodies,..

Then again I live in the south. There’s not a big market out here for cars w/o air conditioning. My buddy had a Canadian model Tercel w/o AC,and literally couldn’t give it away,..we’ll,I finally bought it for a couple hundred bucks,and quickly resold it to another buddy once the tank was empty:haha:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts