S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
92 S10 Blazer 4.3 CPI

Symptoms:
In neutral, you push the 4Hi button. BOTH lights on the switch come on, nothing happens. Put in gear and gas it, rear tires spin only.

Next, push 4Low, lights flash, BOTH are still on, transfer case does not go into low, put into gear, again only rear tires spin.

Checks:
vacuum actuator is seal tight, i disconnected the hose and could suck on it and get the cable to pull.
Vacuum lines are airtight. I pulled the vacuum line off of the actuator, put a bolt in the breather vacuum line that comes off the transfer case up the firewall, blew in it, and nothing came out...air actually came back out when i took my mouth off of it
I put in a new 3-way vacuum actuator that screws into the top of the transfer case

What I think:
I think the encoder has gone bad, which would explain why it isn't going into 4low
But I can't figure out why 4hi isn't working...??

I'm getting ready to sell the vehicle to a friend, and I told him I will have the 4wd working. Thanks for any quick replies! If I could just get 4hi to work, I think that would be OK.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nobody?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
**UPDATE**

I replaced the motor on the transfer case. I push 4Hi, ONLY the green light only comes on, but I'm still in 2HI. I push 4lo, ONLY the yellow light comes on, but I'm definitely in 4wd 4lo, so that's good.

I may just leave it like this and not pursue fixing it any more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts