S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
DRIVIN A PERVERTABLE
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddy was driving down the freeway a couple days ago. this xtreme blazer pulled up and tried to race w/ him and they were already going 80mph. my buddy drives a 97 2dr sebring w/ some 4cyl engine mods like intake, headers, cat back exhaust, reprogrammed computer. why would an xtreme try to race a car? on the freeway? does he not think that his is shaped like a brick? aerodynamics has already beat him at 80 since the sebring cruises at that speed. well, anyways they were picking up speed and my buddy said the x gave out and makes engine noise at 120, while he still has more left and punches it up to 140.
he wanted me to put this on here to ask:
why do ppl that drive trucks and blazers like to get into races w/ cars on the freeway knowing the aerodynamis are against them.
also why does the x give out at 120 and start sounding like a knocking engine till he slows?

i don't know much about the xtremes. i do know this though. when they were still pretty new i had a friend that worked at the locate chevy house. one of his friends bought one, ordered it w/ a special paint job and all the dressings. he drove mine and said it felt like it had more power/torque than his. all i have done to mine is a tb space, k&n intake, and larger/shorter exhaust dumped from a flomaster.

P.S. i am not trying to flame or anything i am just asking some questions.

·
Teh S10Forum Hawk
14,000 Posts
WOW that must be one weird blazer... cuz if i'm not mistakin they cut out at 96 mph, idk how this guy got up to 120 unless he took off the governer(sp) and even then i dont think he could hit 120.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Deviantkoncepts said:
why do ppl that drive trucks and blazers like to get into races w/ cars on the freeway knowing the aerodynamis are against them.
also why does the x give out at 120 and start sounding like a knocking engine till he slows?
ok, i got a blazer and i dont race it...so i cant answer that question. i have decided that draggin on riced out cars is much more fun than trying to race them.

as for the engine sound you heard, it might have been the rev limiter. i think all s-10s and blazers computers are set to cut the engine when it gets to 96mph. i used the hypertech reprogrammer on my truck and raised the top speed from 96 to 120 something.

·
DRIVIN A PERVERTABLE
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he may have messed w/ the gov. or maybe that is why it started making the noise my friend said. :dunno:

·
2daXtreme
232 Posts
i think you friend is full of it. Like it was said the blazer cuts out at 96 or 98. I also have a very hard time believing that your friends sebring can do a 140 mph.

·
DRIVIN A PERVERTABLE
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my2gxtreme said:
i think you friend is full of it. Like it was said the blazer cuts out at 96 or 98. I also have a very hard time believing that your friends sebring can do a 140 mph.
well, i did too till i rode w/ him. and it does the 140. all i know is what he said and what the rest of these are saying. maybe the guy did mess w/ something and was able to hit @120. he did say that there was a knocking or something when it got that fast.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
With mine at sock before mods the engine seemed to shut down at 98 but when I dropped below that it kicked back in.Heard a noise for a short sec at 98 then normal again didnt sound like any rod knock to me though.
But a programmer can take you up to 128 with the Z tire rating I believe. Had my old x truck programmed with one.

Later!

·
2daXtreme
232 Posts
Deviantkoncepts said:
well, i did too till i rode w/ him. and it does the 140. all i know is what he said and what the rest of these are saying. maybe the guy did mess w/ something and was able to hit @120. he did say that there was a knocking or something when it got that fast.
Does you friend have an aftermarket speedo? or does the sebring speedo go up that high?

·
stoopid
81 Posts
That guy with the blazer must have had a programmer. those things raise your top speed to 120 something I was gonna buy one for my blazer.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Engine noise could be the rev limiter, heh. I know mine will bang off the rev limiter in 3rd gear. I dunno how fast that is, but its pretty damn.

·
2003 Xtreme
54 Posts
That sounds like a optimistic speedo (140)...

1997 Chrysler Sebring Convertible Specifications:
Base engine 2.4-liter dohc 16v 4-cyl.
Horsepower @ rpm 150 @ 5200
Torque, lb.-ft. @ rpm 167 @ 4000
EPA fuel economy, mpg city/hwy 21/29
Optional Engines 168 hp 2.5-liter sohc 24v V6
Standard transmission 4-speed automatic
Optional transmission 4-speed AutoStick automatic

·
DRIVIN A PERVERTABLE
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my2gxtreme said:
Does you friend have an aftermarket speedo? or does the sebring speedo go up that high?
he got the speedo out of a talon or eclipse. his stock one only went to 110 or 120. the one he has now shows to 160 i believe.

·
DRIVIN A PERVERTABLE
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so i am getting that the blazer x's top out around 98 unless you have it programmed and some mods then you can reach around 120. is that right? then the rev. limiter kicks in and slows you down. does the rev limiter make noise when it turns on? if so what does it sound like?

·
Registered
64 Posts
i think i should correct myself...i dont think it was the rev limiter making that noise. i think it was just the engine cutting off and on, or whatever it does when the top speed is hit. like when the truck got to 120 it cut off and then cut back on when it dropped down a few mph. and i dont think it cutts all the way off...i just dont know a better way to say how it works.

if you want to hear what a rev limiter sounds like just go to a 1/4 mile track and wait for some imports to race. or ask someone with a riced out honda...they love to show off there rev limiter. i think every vehicle comes with them to protect the engine. try it in your truck...just throw it in 1st and floor it and when it goes past the red line you will hear the rpms drop down and up real fast. the best way i can describe the sound is "babababababa"

·
Registered
290 Posts
Deviantkoncepts said:
he got the speedo out of a talon or eclipse. his stock one only went to 110 or 120. the one he has now shows to 160 i believe.
correct me if im wrong, but its just a thought. if he has the new talon/eclipse speedo, is it just the gauge face? and if it is, could you recalibrate your needle to show you the correct speed. otherwise with the higher speedo the numbers will be closer to gether to fit the extra MPH, so it will say he is going 140mph when he is really doing far less.

·
DRIVIN A PERVERTABLE
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ArcanaS-10 said:
correct me if im wrong, but its just a thought. if he has the new talon/eclipse speedo, is it just the gauge face? and if it is, could you recalibrate your needle to show you the correct speed. otherwise with the higher speedo the numbers will be closer to gether to fit the extra MPH, so it will say he is going 140mph when he is really doing far less.
that would be a good scenerio. xcept for one thing. the sebring is equiped w/ a learning computer. to reset it you disonnect the + and - cables from the battery and touch them together for 5 seconds. then reconnet. for the next week he drives how he wants the computer to learn as in shifts, speeds, stopping, etc. he is married to a cop and had the speedo checked, off the record of course.lol

1 - 20 of 198 Posts