S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
7,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a used 360 for $125 last week. The 360 is staying in my bedroom where I have my LCD, and my router is on the other side of the house in the den. I have no intentions of spending $100 on a new Microsoft wireless adapter. Has anyone else found a way to go wireless with their 360. And if so, what did you guys do. I've thought about picking up a couple of those network adapters that plug into the power outlets, but i would prefer not to spend as much as that right now.

·
Banned
7,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a computer in your room? If so, piggy back off of the computer using ICS.
no computer in the bedroom, i have my laptop there from time to time, but nothing dedicated to the room. . .i've been reading about this linux firmware update for some wireless routers to turn them into a bridge. . .i think its the dd-wrt firmware. . .anyways, i've got an spare buffalo g router that i'll see if i can do the upgrade on. . .from what i've been reading its a solid way to turn a weak inexpensive router and giving the functions of some of the higher end routers on the market. . .

·
Banned
7,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, that sucked. . .it appeared i got the buffalo router's firmware upgraded, i was able to get on the ddwrt gui but i couldn't get access to the net. . .so i closed my browser and reopen it, now i can't get to anything off of that router. . .i tried pinging it, and it just keeps timing out. . .i think i may have bricked the damn thing. . .

·
Registered
343 Posts
Get a really long ethernet cable....:dunno:

The only wireless way I know how to do it without buying the adapter is to run it through a laptop picking up the wireless internet and connect the xbox and laptop.

·
AcrophobiA
8,481 Posts
hey man...not trying to whore...but i'm in the same boat as you...except i dont have any friends that will give me that adapter...

my laptop has wireless...how can i set it up so that i can plug the 360 into it and get online? not sure if it matter...but i dont have any routers in the house...i use cablelynx and just bought their wireless modem

·
Banned
7,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Paperclip it. On the back of the router there should be a small reset button. That will reset the router back to factory settings.

yea, i tried that already. . .also tried taking the thing apart and manually jumping the reset. . .found instructions how to do it. . .seemed to work, but that didn't last either. . .i'm probably going to have to chalk this up to one of life's failed experiments. . .

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
hey man...not trying to whore...but i'm in the same boat as you...except i dont have any friends that will give me that adapter...

my laptop has wireless...how can i set it up so that i can plug the 360 into it and get online? not sure if it matter...but i dont have any routers in the house...i use cablelynx and just bought their wireless modem
ICS.. refer to post #2.

·
Banned
7,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, that'll learn me something. . .so i get home from the BMV today after renewing my plates (which the BMV loves me so much, they decided to **** up), and i decide i'm going to pop in assassin's creed and go do some killing. . .low and behold, RROD out of no where. . .well, i've only owned this thing a couple weeks, but its past the return time from the place i bought it from (bought it used on ebay). . .so i'm thinking, i'm going rip that bitch apart and try every fix i've read about on the internet to combat the RROD. . .but common sense took over and i decided to check if the previous owner had registered the xbox, and to m suprise, they hadn't. . .so now i'm waiting on a box to send my 360 into microsoft to get fixed for free. . .which i'm sure means that i'll get to go through this process atleast twice, from what i've read of other people's experiences

·
umm...
1,925 Posts
u never know where your gunna need a jack. Hell a few years down the road u might be able to look in the fridgae and find out whats left of what and then order your groceries without ever leaving your computer! haha

·
Can I get a hot tub?
2,676 Posts
Do you have a computer in your room? If so, piggy back off of the computer using ICS.
ICS FTW!!. that's how i got past cisco clean access agent at school. logged in with my laptop, then picked up a pcmcia card for a second port and ran it to the 360. worked great all year and got all the kids on the hall hooked up. i'm glad i knew about it or i woulda been SOL for a while.

and cat5 throughout the house is the best. it's really not hard if you got an attic or crawlspace. just keep em away from electric lines and your good. i'm gonna see if my my landlord will let me wire the house and give me credit on it. it's one of my roommate's mom so she probably won't care. we all play 360 so that will be nice to all be hard wired.

·
Banned
7,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sound like what u need is a house with networking jacks in every room. Like me!! But i dont play xbox
i think that might be a project that i tackle in the fall. . .i've ran cable, telephone, and other wiring before, so running CAT 5 to the rooms won't be a big deal. . .its just been too wet this spring to work in the crawlspace, and right now its too damn hot to be doing that shit. . .

btw, i rarely play games. . .my original xbox i bought last year. . .i turned that into a media center in my living room. . .the 360 is my experiment right now. . .if anything, i break out my dreamcast if i want to sit and play games. . .its amazing how well the graphics are on that old system. . .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts