S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone asked Al for new replacement bearing kit, with their purchase , along w/ extra belts ? I think that,s what,s holding me back from getting one..I did a COPO cam 1x262001 part #, it,s good for 1800 to 5600 rpm. BUT I,m looking for more bottom end torque . the cam w/ a magnaflow catback sounds great, slight lope..A little blower whine would be the icing on the cake. New impeller is some thing , I have not heard anyone comment on, w/ 36 lb injectors..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one has respond to my post, so I called Al & talked for over an hour, before he gave me the price, of his kit. I was wanting to go with out the PCM & have my tuner pcms for less do my tune,they have done tunes for him before. Al informed me they no longer sold a pcm , with their kit anymore, then I asked about him selling me a bearing kit w/ my purchase . I know the bearings is one of the weak parts of the mono system.& I have poured over OLD forums searching for how long these ceramic bearings last..Anyhow A l didn,t want to sell me replacement bearing kit , because it,s only 285.00 for a rebuild. I,m thinking yea like I wan,t to have them go out on me at the most inopportune
time . MURPHY,S LAW and I have to wait to get it back.. He started to say something about he is the only one that can repair [ rebuild one ]. maybe so . I,m not trying to bash the guy, he has a simple way , to get some power without creating much heat, & no seals to blow out where you start sucking oil into your engine. Low boost yea but , I just want a bit more torque , not a race truck. When i wan,t to go racing 1/4 mile I have 96 bravada I,ll do a twin turbo on some day... So IF ANY BODY HAS ANY GOOD OR BAD STORIES about their experience w / a windjammer please respond. thanks in advance Dave.....

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,765 Posts
Surprised he's still selling kits, its been awhile since anyone around here talked about him. That said, for the price (back in the day) his kits were alright and picked up the extra ponies most were looking for. There aren't any other options for S10 4.3's that I am aware of, so its the old, if you want it, play by his rules deal. If you're afraid of having bearing issues, don't bother with it. But that's true of pretty much any engine modification, if you want OEM reliability, you stay OEM.

·
SyTy Speed Shop
1,132 Posts
Im curious if Al gave any estimates on how many miles the bearings last on average before needing replacement? I have had several long conversations with him and have asked but he never really gave a solid answer.

I have a built/forged 4.3 with a 72mm turbo iv been debating on putting in my 98 Bravada or this Wynjammer kit i have on a cam swapped stock 4.3. The main issue im concerned with is the 4L60e holding up to the turbo engine. Its a practically new rebuilt stock trans that have installed an HD2 kit and corvette servos and a 9/11 style 2800 converter. Im thinking if i kept the boost around 10-12 on the turbo it should hold up fine, but at that level im thinking the 72mm turbo will be way overkill.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Al told me he has had them last to 80000 miles, kinda hard to believe. I don,t use my truck in inclement weather, so my driving season is pretty limited. I saw some post that some w/j owners have run them as d/d,& had them for 4 years or more. So like everything else it,s kinda the luck of the draw..He did not want to sell me a bearing kit, then something about the shaft, I,m not sure where he lost me at , its only 285 00 to rebuild...don,t know how old he is, only that he was doing something back in 1958 . Didn,t want to ask him about the long term plans for the company, or who might take over when he passes. I have a 96 Bravada with hopes to do something crazy with.4472 b/w transfer case I don,t know a lot about 4l60s other than weak sun shell, parts for HD 4L60 = 4L65 extra clutch plates etc. Good luck, stay safe, know about MURPHY. Peace !!!!

·
SyTy Speed Shop
1,132 Posts
i know there were a few guys back in the day that were making ~350RWHP with the wynjammer. bolt ons, comp 270 cam and a good tune and 9-10 PSI on the blower, and at that point your just about maxed on the 36lb injectors.

I think my plan is to put the built/forged 4.3 with ported heads and a custom cam into my Bravada with the Wynjammer and see what i can get out of it, if it get close to the 350AWHP mark ill be happy and my 60e should be just fine with that. There are a few options for more boost on the blower with a custom larger crank pulley at about $400 bucks, and i believe AL does offer a larger blower itself.

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,765 Posts
Worse comes to worse, if you have a problem and he's croaked, just take it to any competent machine shop and have them disassemble it. Or send it off to a steering gear/PS pump company. Odds are he's using a run of the mill generic china ceramic bearing that really has nothing special about it except for the need to be pressed in/out of the housing and measured once its out. He's certainly not manufacturing the bearing himself, he's just keeping the secret sauce secret for some side income in building. 285$ for a 10$ bearing likely.

·
SyTy Speed Shop
1,132 Posts
the 285 .00 was for the rebuild , not just the bearings.....
was the rebuild including a new impeller?

I talked today about the gen 111 impeller he lists on his site and I got the feeling it was the same as the gen3 just typed on there different. He said he does offer a 2.65 pulley that larger cog pulley bolts to that would be an upgrade but probably only going to get 1 maybe 2 psi over the 2.75 pulley the 8-10 psi kit comes with. The 6 psi kit comes with a 2.85 pulley.

I’m also sure if you took one apart and measure the bearings and searched online you could fine replacement ones pretty easy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don,t think it includes impeller, I talked to him again today, I discussed another of my concerns , of chewing up a belt, & wanted to buy an extra cog belt. He said the only time you might have a belt problem, is from rapid deceleration.with people doing auto cross on & off throttle . Makes sense the more boost you run 8-10 the pressure has to go somewhere. the pressure bonnet is there to help pressure escape.I have read about some one w/ fly by wire ,would not let vacuum response fast enough , to open valve in bonnet ,so the pressure tries to spin the impeller backwards. [at least how I understand this problem ] Correct me if i am wrong.,on my understanding...Any how he said my automatic trans would help to keep this to a minimum....Al isn,t in any hurry to sell his stuff,he seems to be more interested in talking about engines , & stories about the old days. If your not in a hurry he is a treat to talk to... PS he had some kevlar belts made & they didn,t work ,not plyable enough so he does not use them anymore....Hope this helps some one..PSps he only takes c/ cards for small parts. no pay-pal or cards for the kits .BANK CHECKS ONLY my order for 8-10 w/ injectors was $3.669 w/ shipping...good luck Dave...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts