S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Low Standards Motorsports
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again in my saga of taking 2 steps forward and one step back on the truck.

Was out and about this afternoon, started up the truck a bit after dark, turned on the headlights, and the stereo and dash lights go dead, the Parking Brake and ABS Idiot Lights come on. I flick the lights off, then on again, and everything goes back to normal.

Half an hour later I stop at 7-11, get back in the truck, start it up, does the same thing. Except this time I had to do it twice, and then the truck stalled. I re-start it, lights are all ok, leave, and it kinda bogs like it wants to die again... floor it and it picks back up.

Leaving my friends house later, same thing. Lights on, interior accessories off, idiot lights come on. Truck stalls, restart, drives fine.

Left another friends house, starts up fine, get 2 blocks away, making a left turn, and the truck dies right as it hits second gear. Pull over, try to restart, wont click over (didnt even make noise, was like the battery was unplugged) for 5 minutes. Then starts right up again and gets home like there was no problem.

It almost feels like someone's flipping a circut breaker in my truck every time I turn the lights on.

So what could this be? Do I need a new alternator? Is there a short somewhere? Or is it as simple as a blown fuse (I consider this unlikely, as all systems function normally after a few tries, with a blown fuse they shoudlnt work at all)?

Battery is 3 months old (Optima Yellow Top)
Alternator is a little more than 2 years old.

Any help is appreciated as I have to get to work tomorrow and have finals next week, so I cant be without a truck.

·
Early Member
3,137 Posts
Check for loose battery cables.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
might also check all your system wires... i had an amp wire that got sliced form road debrix enough to expose some wire and it would hit the frame or a body panel and ground everythign out ended up killing the battery took forever to find where it was though

·
Low Standards Motorsports
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i checked the battery terminals right after it happened the 2nd time... they're ok.

anyway, i followed the advice on the other thread about this that said to check the ground down near the parking brake. i pushed it in a bit (it was loose) and no problems since... of course its only been 24 hours...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts