S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
i just recently took out my cat bc it was shot and making rattleing noises.
i replaced it with some strait pipe and welded it.
i get the same mpg if not a little better!!!
as for the power diff.. i accelerate a lil faster and it sounds alot better
until i get my new exaust in that i am developing myself

·
Registered
22 Posts
Trying to save a buck I went without the converter for about 1000 miles and the gas mileage was terrible. Put it back in the truck ,2000 4 cyl auto and the gas mileage is back to normal and the truck sounds much better. It is worth it to not see that check engine light on all the time.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
bump of a 4 yr old thread. glad you searched.

my 01 sonoma got 27mph on the hwy with a gutted cat along with 250+ miles.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,769 Posts
I do almost nothing but in town driving , a lot of stop and go , 5 speed trans. but I usually drive very conservatively. Its been louder since I removed the cat especially with the exhaust leak somewhere. I think it really needs the cat to work right and get more MPG's.
Fix the exhaust leak and see if your mileage returns to normal.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Removing and or gutting cat will not affect your mileage in anyway shape or form. You guys saying otherwise have other issues like you jacked your O2 sensor up or it just needs replacing. Done this too many times. I know what I know because I have done this many times and various types of vehicles and have my own experience to rely not something I read on the interwebz............lol

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Trying to save a buck I went without the converter for about 1000 miles and the gas mileage was terrible. Put it back in the truck ,2000 4 cyl auto and the gas mileage is back to normal and the truck sounds much better. It is worth it to not see that check engine light on all the time.
Check engine light can be fixed wit one of these..................

http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/o2sim.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
have you tried putting a riser on the post cat sensor? with the cat gone it will give a "dirty" exhaust reading if you use a riser, provided the sensor isnt shot, is should send the right signal. the sensor will still get hot but it will read "cleaner" do to the fact that its not in the direct path of the exhaust. also should get rid of the c/e light or just reset it as mentioned above and it shouldnt come back.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
your burning more gas becuase your O2 sensors arent reading correctly therefore dumping more fuel in. also your loosing alot of backpressure... though loosing some backpressure is good for an exhuast system, you still need some backpressure... do you have a performance muffler on the truck? or none at all?... anyway its mostly becuase your 02's are reading that there is no cat or a significant change in the exhuast system and cuasing you to burn more fuel

Thats def NOT true.

Only your upstream sensors control a/f mixture. Downstream only monitors cataylist efficiency and do not controll a/f mixture AT ALL.

·
Registered
59 Posts
ok so for me i have a problem. cat is about 80% plugged. its derivable but super hard on fuel. i need to get it to town to get it fix would cutting a hole before the cat make it run better to get it to town? sound is not a problem.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Hell yeah, just take the sawzall and cut it off right before the cat.

Id say unbolt it, but these are old enough you will spend more time trying to remove rusted bolts then its worth.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ok thanks i have a magnaflow cat system coming in for it. Should see mpg gain from the old one. Im going to do cat back later no money for it lol. Till i start working my summer job.

·
I Rather Be Wheelin'
4,874 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Check engine light can be fixed wit one of these..................

http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/o2sim.html
I just got rid of both my cats and did the non foulers but think I could have damaged the o2 when I used a impact gun to get it out. What o2 simulator is the one I need the the type5 or type 6? I would rather buy one of those then buy another o2 and still have the cel.

·
Better post-em.
11,303 Posts
i dunno, my 95 4 banger obx header no cat 2 1/4" straight pipe to thrush turbo muffler out factory tubing to stock location getting 30/31 mixed mpg shifting less than 2K rpm...id like to see an autotragic s10 get that.

also more exhaust leaks than you can shake a stick at...AND SES light on constantly due to no EGR lol

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for posting your problem. I read this about a few hours before i was going to take mine out. I'll leave it in.

About your leak.

Can exhaust leaks be filled with duraglas fiberglass? I want to try tonight

·
Registered
448 Posts
you want the least backpressure, the more air and fuel you cram in the more power you can make, the reason the mileage went down is I bet the check engine light is on and the computer is in limp home mode and is adding more fuel to protect the engine,,,either replace the cat, or get a antifouler for the rear O2.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.