S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced my intake valves and set the valves to the factory setting of one and one half turns, its firing out the carb when turning over, all the wires are set correct, hadnt touched the distributor since that last time it ran.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Scratch all that.
I replaced my intake gasket, so i had to pull my rods
This is my 3rd time pulling off the carburetor and belt to get to my valve covers to adjust. The last time, i tightened down the valves one and one half turns as my book states, did a compression check and wound up having none.
only different thing about doing it this time was that is backfired through the carb.

Motor has 105k on it.

·
Mr. SQ
2,302 Posts
the book is wrong. do a search for the valve adjustment that works. I dont remember what it is off the top of my head.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
If it's backfiring through the carb either your firing order/distributor is off, or your intake valves are too tight.

Firing order or distributor off is the most likely.

Remove #1 plug and the distributor cap and turn it until the rotor points to the #1 plug wire location. Check your timing make to see if they are close. Turn the crank backwards a 1/4 turn. Put your finger in the plug hole and turn the engine forward by hand. You should have pressure build in the cylinder. If the above isn't so, then you are off.

·
Budget Ballin FTS!
3,652 Posts
So you pulled the top end off? which means you pulled the dizzy? Sounds like your 180* out to me. Might just be as simple and raising the dizzy an inch or so and turning the rotor 180* then dropping it back in,

·
Registered
59 Posts
make sure your distributor is installed right.

use this method to tell when the #1 piston (front passenger side cylinder) is coming up on the compression stroke is by removing the spark plug and placing your thumb over the hole, you will feel the air being forced out of the spark plug hole. as you turn the crankshaft. Stop turning the crankshaft when the TDC timing mark on the crankshaft pulley is directly aligned with the 0 deg timing mark . then drop
your distributor in with the rotor button pointing at the #1 plug wire on distributor cap.

one technique to adj valve lash is just use 2 fingers an litely roll pushrod back an forth untill it stops moving when tightening down . then tighten another 3/4 turn. you can over tighten them by pinching . it with thumb an finger .

get one of these ! for future use.
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-3149-lisle-48500.aspx

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
Are you sure you adjusted the right number 1 as number one. I've seen too many old school guys jump in on a 60 degree thinking they knew what they were doing and start on number 2 thinking its 1.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,613 Posts
One and a half turns is too tight. I've seen that in more than one book myself. Haynes, which I normally swear by has it like that. There's lots of opinions on that, but 3/4 turn always works for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok.
I didnt touch the dizzy 1 bit, so it should be in sync, plugs are in correctly,made sure and double checked that.
I adjusted the valves correct to the firing order (which is very odd on these motors, dad was trippin out)
what what it seems, i have em too tight, ill go with the 3/4 and see what that does.

Just getting real tired of pulling off the carb and valve covers to adjust them.

·
Budget Ballin FTS!
3,652 Posts
Why are you pulling the carb? just pull the valve covers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All the carb linkages are in the way of me pulling off the left side valve covers, a lot easier to pull 3 bolts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally got the thing running this last sunday
turns out the hydraulic lifters were filled up with the water oil mixture
I loosened the valves to the point where we got some compression, which was 0 lash, no extra turns, tightened them down 1/2 a turn once the motor heated up, now it runs good, thx for all the advice.

·
Registered
1990 gmc sonoma
17 Posts
Finally got the thing running this last sunday
turns out the hydraulic lifters were filled up with the water oil mixture
I loosened the valves to the point where we got some compression, which was 0 lash, no extra turns, tightened them down 1/2 a turn once the motor heated up, now it runs good, thx for all the advice.
I'll give it a shot

·
Registered
1990 gmc sonoma
17 Posts
I'll try that see if sonoma will run, could be I went with 1.5 turns becasu its been 48 years since I overhauled an american built engine

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,357 Posts
11 year old dead smelly thread guys..let it Rest In Peace. Don't bump them.

Closed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.