S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put a 305 out of an 87 van in my 91 s-10 the new distributor has an hei coil. the old motor was a 2.5.

what wires connect with what ?

I have books for both the cars/engines, still lost though, the colors for the 87 don't match the ones in the book. the plugs for the old and new motor are very close but not quite the same.

any help is appreciated

thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
There is a medium guage pink wire, comin from your fuse block/firwall it will join in with a white wire and go to a connector, from what i have read all u need to do is connect the pink wire to the +batt thing on your cap/coil. the white wire is for your tach, but if your 2.5 is auto like mine, i don't have one, so just tape off that white one. my HEI has two other connecters leading in and out of the module, not sure what the module is for but thinking of a setup with the external coil it seems like all u need is something to power the spark and the rotor and cap do the rest, if anyone knows better about these connectors please inform me cuz i have no clue

V.V.

P.S. don't have a vacuum advance, and this is my first HEI setup so any help aprecciated

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
what i did was run a wire from the aux ign port in my fuse block to my + side on the coil and it works great...have had no problems so far... i cut out pretty much all of the f/i stuff so i started basically from scratch and used the aux ports alot for stuff

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
VividVisions said:
There is a medium guage pink wire, comin from your fuse block/firwall it will join in with a white wire and go to a connector, from what i have read all u need to do is connect the pink wire to the +batt thing on your cap/coil. the white wire is for your tach, but if your 2.5 is auto like mine, i don't have one, so just tape off that white one. my HEI has two other connecters leading in and out of the module, not sure what the module is for but thinking of a setup with the external coil it seems like all u need is something to power the spark and the rotor and cap do the rest, if anyone knows better about these connectors please inform me cuz i have no clue

V.V.

P.S. don't have a vacuum advance, and this is my first HEI setup so any help aprecciated
The other connectors go to the module/reluctor in the base of the distributor. Stock HEI setup will misfire around 5000 RPM so if using above that point you should buy aftermarket coil/module. MSD Super HEI kit works as advertised. You don't have to use the vacuum advance but it can help with mileage - be sure it's connected to a ported vacuum source (no vacuum at idle/throttle blades closed).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
distributor

ok so far thanks for your help, but.....

everybody is explaining the wires on the top of the distributor, i need to know what to do with the wires coming out of the bottom of the distributor. look at the picture, (it's of the plug from the distributor) I don't know where to connect the wires from the truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
Stock HEI setup will misfire around 5000 RPM so if using above that point you should buy aftermarket coil/module.
I have a stock '70's HEI with a remote Accel coil on my big block, I shift it at 7000 rpm, it'll pull into the 8000 range before I let of and never miss a beat.

i need to know what to do with the wires coming out of the bottom of the distributor.
locate the 4 wire connector that feeds into the ignition module. (thats the one in your picture) There's a brown (D), green (C), white (B), and black (A) wire there. The letters in () are on the black clip that the wires come out of. You cut the green (C) and black (A) wires between this clip and where they go into the distributor. Then all you need to do is solder the 2 cut leads from the dist/ignition module together, i.e. the green and black ones, (make sure to tape the exposed wires) and now your HEI distributor will function just as a pre ESC model does.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i was just about to ask about those wires, so i snip the green and black and solder them together then i am done with that clip?? do i still need to run that pink wire to the cab/coil?? or do i just use the clip that came with it (comin out of the module) thanks for any help

V.V.

·
Registered
507 Posts
VividVisions said:
i was just about to ask about those wires, so i snip the green and black and solder them together then i am done with that clip?? do i still need to run that pink wire to the cab/coil?? or do i just use the clip that came with it (comin out of the module) thanks for any help

V.V.
Yes you cut green and black and connect them together and you're done with that plug shown in the picture.
All you need to do is plug the other harness from the distributor to the cap and plug a keyed on power source to the BAT terminal.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was told that distributor wouldn't work, because it had some sort of electronic advance ????!!?? and there was another part that had to be there for it to plug into or it wouldn't run properly. I just got an older distributor without the wireing.

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
Jay72 said:
I have a stock '70's HEI with a remote Accel coil on my big block, I shift it at 7000 rpm, it'll pull into the 8000 range before I let of and never miss a beat.
That's because you're not using the stock coil.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Rhansen said:
Is this a computer controlled distrib.? Never seen coil in cap style w/ that plug.
That distributor shown was used on certain trucks with ESC (electronic spark control), it has mechanical and vacuum advance, you could get rid of that extra wiring harness by swapping the guts out of a distributor without ESC. Or by modifying the wires as explained earlier.
Newer CCC (computer command control) HEI distributors have no vacuum or mechanical advance, not good to use without the computer because it has no advance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
why is it not good to use the CCC dristibutors without a computer, mine doesn't have any advance on it and i planned on using it for my swap, so should i go find a dizzy with an advance on it??

·
Registered
507 Posts
Why would you want to use a distributor with no advance?
I don't even think it'll work without the computer anyway.

so should i go find a dizzy with an advance on it??
I think you'll be able to answer that on your own once you find out it won't work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts