S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My door jamb switch wires broke on my 1993 S10. The switch was bad and the wires broke while I was trying to replace the switch. Now they are way to short and are fixing to fall behind the cab where I would not know how to get them back out. Is there a way to retrieve them if they do? I have taped them to the door jamb so hopefully they won’t go into the switch mounting hole. My plan is to soldier wire to the original wires to make them longer then crimp new connectors to the new wire. It will be hard to strip and soldier to the factory wires because they just barely stick out past the mounting hole in the cab. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Been there Done it
8,962 Posts
They're usually right behind the kick panel. Just pull it. Tape a string to the wires when you pull them out and you'll be able to just pull them back into place.

Reactions: jimmykicker

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
They're usually right behind the kick panel. Just pull it. Tape a string to the wires when you pull them out and you'll be able to just pull them back into place.
Thanks for the help I will pull the kick panel off tonight when I get home. I thought the wires were between the metal where the kick panel screws to and the metal on the exterior of cab. I thought it was double wall in that area.

·
Been there Done it
8,962 Posts
Could be. Been awhile since I took a 1st gen interior apart, but with a string you should be able to get it out and back in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be. Been awhile since I took a 1st gen interior apart, but with a string you should be able to get it out and back in.
I looked online to try to find out where the other end of those two wires are going. I can’t find anything on it. Any suggestions on where to look?

·
Registered
49 Posts

This is how my '88 is wired. I had to use my offset pliers and twist to get that rubber plug out. Your later model probably doesn't have the fresh air door.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

This is how my '88 is wired. I had to use my offset pliers and twist to get that rubber plug out. Your later model probably doesn't have the fresh air door.
Sorry for the double post. I asked for the top post to be deleted. Your right mine is just an open hole I covered up to keep water from leaking into the truck. My door is on the passenger side. My wires don’t run there either. Maybe someone re wired them.
It was tough but I soldered to the wires that were barely sticking out. The switch I bought is 3/8 longer than the factory one. It looks like it’s for a 1994 and up that mounts into the dash. I’m now trying to find the correct switch. I metered for 12 volts and I don’t always have it after I soldered longer wires on. I hope I made a good soldier connection.

·
Been there Done it
8,962 Posts
Here's your switch:
They're on closeout for under $2. Don't tell anybody about it. If you need another or get a defective one they'll be gone. Ask me how I know.

Reactions: Mopar03
1 - 8 of 8 Posts