S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on tinting my rear 3 windows (on an extended cab) myself. Does anyone have any tips on how to do a good job, especially on what brand of tint to use. I dont want to end up with bubbles or that purple colored $hit. I saw some tint at the local Advance Auto Parts store... think that it would work okay?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I'd just pay someone to do it... it will turn out good that way at least. I have seen some do it yourself jobs and they turned out really bad... especially the first time ones. It shouldn't be too expensive, especially for just the back ones. Mine was 75 for the back and sides, but the back was a slider and the sides are the roll down front ones, all of those are the hardest and usually more expensive to get done, so yours should be cheaper than that.

DogP

·
Resident *******
11,267 Posts
I use Gila tint. Be patient, use good blades, and plenty of soapy water. it's really not that hard. the only problem with the side windows is cutting around the little nobs on the window.

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
my brother used to do tint so i used his tools and tint....so i'd suggest paying someone to do it.....unless you have the commercial quality stuff at hand or if ur going for purple with bubbles....

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you've got the cash right there, i'd pay someone. If not, its not really as hard as people think....I helped a friend tint his and it came out great. Everyone sees a lot of terrible do-it-yourself jobs because the people doing it are either retarded or impatient....most likely the later. Don't rush through any part of it. Be sure to use a lot of whatever soapy mixture you use and make sure you do it in a dust/debris free environment. Also make sure you buy the best tint you can get.....saving money in buying the tint will prove to be a pain later. Aside from that remember that razors are not toys and tint is not edible.....keep all of that in mind along with what the other guys have said and you should be alright. Good luck if you decide to do it yourself, later,
Spence

·
Resident *******
11,267 Posts
BTW - I know most opf you have seen the purple tint. this happens when you use the wrong stuff to tint windows. windex is what makws the tint purple, so do not use windex. use distilled water with dishwashing detergent or baby shampoo. I personally use baby shampoo. Another thing is to clean your windows really well before you tint. the cleaner your windows are, the better the tint will look.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Being a somewhat small town in iowa... we dont exactly have the best selection for tinting shops. There are two in my general area and i called them today to ask about how much it'd cost. One told me $125, and the other said anywhere from $110-125... so im thinkin i'll just go ahead and do it myself. If it turns out really ****ty, i'll take it off and have someone do it professionally.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Where at in Iowa??? I'm in Davenport, and if you ever make your way here, Soap-E-Suds is a great place to get it done.

DogP

·
295 Posts
Use lots of soapy water when applying the tint. You can NEVER use too much. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts