S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Lets try this again...
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have messed up my tint for the 3rd time. I can cut and place the tint on and get all the water bubbles out and everything, it looks GOOD but the problem is, no matter how much i clean the glass before i apply the tint, it ALWAYS gets dirt particles trapped underneith and it looks ugly as hell. I dont want to take it to a tint shop because i want to do it myself and say "i tinted them myself". Anyways does anyone know a good process to do to get the glass CLEEEEEEEEAN?? I just use regular windex to clean the glass, then use some rubbing alcohol and wipe it down, doesnt seem to do the trick. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Use the regular soap and water cause windex has amonia in it and will eat the glue then go over it with a razor a couple times and do it indoors because some of that is just dust that settles on your window after cleaning...Good luck.
*edit* oh yea use more water than soap that will it will dry faster when on.

·
bagged1
2,216 Posts
It's nearly impossible to have zero dust under your tint...even the professionals get some dust under the tint....

The only way you could really eliminate all of the dust is if you had your windows out of the truck,and you we're in a "clean room" hehe:dunno:

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
I work at a tint shop. After you clean the windows with cleaner (non amonia cleaner) the conventional way with a towel, soak the window with cleaner and use a squeege (sp?) to get the cleaner off. good luck

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
here's what you do.....

1. wipe around the window.
2.spray the window w/soapy water...
3.take a razor blade and scrape the window (starting in the center and working out)
4.then spray it again...and take a squeege and get all the water off (going from the top down)
5. now push the gasket down inside the window.
6. roll the window down a few inches.
7. now from the top down...spray the entire window vigoursly
8. take your tint (already cut and trimmed) and peel about half of the liner off (starting at the top.)
9. apply the tint onto the window, and postion it where desired.
10. now squeege around the top edge to tack it into place.
11.now work down a little ways, from the inside out.
12. roll window back up
13. continue squeeging the water out (inside out.)

·
Registered
839 Posts
does the tint bought at autozone eventually turn purple. the stuff alta mere uses will never turn purple, but they want 180 to do my truck.

·
I'm probably drunk.
8,650 Posts
be careful with a razor blade (and make sure to use a brand new one)
they can scratch your windows

and call around...you should be able to get your windows tinited cheaper than that

·
On tha grind
3,060 Posts
thats pretty high just for tinting.... a buddy of mine with a bn mazda protege HB got his done for 175 CDN and the guy came to his car!!!

·
Banned
459 Posts
do not use windex, the ammonia kills the glue and tint, sprayway makes a great foaming non-ammonia window cleaner that works great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
XDime01 said:
Use the regular soap and water cause windex has amonia in it and will eat the glue then go over it with a razor a couple times and do it indoors because some of that is just dust that settles on your window after cleaning...Good luck.
*edit* oh yea use more water than soap that will it will dry faster when on.

If you do it indoors like a garage, wet down the floors first. This will help the dust stick to the floor instead of staying in the air.

·
Registered
839 Posts
just a thought, are you cutting it on the outside of the window? If so, then you need to clean the outside really well too or dust on the outside could stick to the glue and transfer over to the inside.

·
strip rat
177 Posts
As for tint costs, i just had my 2 front doors done with Llumar tint = $50. (Backs are factory 'black').

·
Registered
160 Posts
yea i had flame tint put on mine at a local shop and it was only 145 on a reg cab s-10 and if i just had it done in black, it was only going to be around 100 so yea shop around, u can definitely get it done cheaper man

·
vote for pedro
71 Posts
hey guys take it from a window tinter....dont use llumar. theres a product called DL15 Gray and that tint turns purple in less than a year as a matter of fact and gray film will turn purplw with exposure.. Go with Solar Gard film last longer.. and if you follow 98 SDIME instructions u should be cool but if you still have some dirt man you might wanna check your bottle..rinse it out and fill it with warm water and a couple drops of dish soap and you be good to go

1 - 20 of 20 Posts