S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all…

I know that not many people will do this specific MC upgrade, but I figured I would share and show the issue that I had to deal with and how I resolved it.

System Summary: Wilwood did not offer a front conversion and the rear Corvette kit with the e-brake was WAY too expensive. The Wilwood rear kit was only $450 upcharge with the rear-end I purchased. Don’t care that they are different – this thing STOPS!

Front - Kore3 Blazer Corvette C6 big brake kit.

Rear – Wilwood big brake kit for Ford 9”

Master – Wilwood compact tandem MC

I did the full brake and rear-end conversion a few weeks ago and ran into an issue with the rear brakes dragging slightly, getting hot and basically locking up. I pulled it into the garage when it was hot and could not push by hand when in neutral. I released the master cylinder to booster bolts and was immediately able to push the car. I added a few shims between the booster and master, went for a drive and the issue was gone and Suspicion confirmed! Rear brakes were pre-loading in the new MC and dragging.

Now for the problem… The push rod is not adjustable on these power brake boosters. Bought a push-rod depth checker and confirmed I needed to shave off about 3/16” and have it contour to the Wilwood MC pushrod.

Well – easy enough! The whole pushrod assembly pulls rights out of the booster (depress the pedal slightly if it is still under vacuum to release). It is a plastic assembly and the metal tip is pressed into the end of the plastic pushrod housing. This is easily removed from and re-installed onto the housing.

I started this with a Dremel and said NOPE – would have butchered it! I took it to a buddy of mine at a local machine shop and had them machine it down. Sorry that I did not take measurements, but it was basically 3/16 reduction and re-shape the push-rod end. Simple lathe work and took about 15-20 mins. You can see the final result in the before/after photo’s below.

Glad this is done. Now I just need to finish tweaking everything.

Thanks,
Tim

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,611 Posts
Hey all…

I know that not many people will do this specific MC upgrade, but I figured I would share and show the issue that I had to deal with and how I resolved it.

System Summary: Wilwood did not offer a front conversion and the rear Corvette kit with the e-brake was WAY too expensive. The Wilwood rear kit was only $450 upcharge with the rear-end I purchased. Don’t care that they are different – this thing STOPS!

Front - Kore3 Blazer Corvette C6 big brake kit.

Rear – Wilwood big brake kit for Ford 9”

Master – Wilwood compact tandem MC

I did the full brake and rear-end conversion a few weeks ago and ran into an issue with the rear brakes dragging slightly, getting hot and basically locking up. I pulled it into the garage when it was hot and could not push by hand when in neutral. I released the master cylinder to booster bolts and was immediately able to push the car. I added a few shims between the booster and master, went for a drive and the issue was gone and Suspicion confirmed! Rear brakes were pre-loading in the new MC and dragging.

Now for the problem… The push rod is not adjustable on these power brake boosters. Bought a push-rod depth checker and confirmed I needed to shave off about 3/16” and have it contour to the Wilwood MC pushrod.

Well – easy enough! The whole pushrod assembly pulls rights out of the booster (depress the pedal slightly if it is still under vacuum to release). It is a plastic assembly and the metal tip is pressed into the end of the plastic pushrod housing. This is easily removed from and re-installed onto the housing.

I started this with a Dremel and said NOPE – would have butchered it! I took it to a buddy of mine at a local machine shop and had them machine it down. Sorry that I did not take measurements, but it was basically 3/16 reduction and re-shape the push-rod end. Simple lathe work and took about 15-20 mins. You can see the final result in the before/after photo’s below.

Glad this is done. Now I just need to finish tweaking everything.

Thanks,
Tim

View attachment 349575
View attachment 349576
View attachment 349577
View attachment 349578
View attachment 349579
View attachment 349580
Nicely done. I wish I had known about that a few months ago.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,611 Posts
where did you get the master cylinder push rod checker tool from?
I believe I got mine off Ebay. It's pretty handy.

Here's one...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep - I picked it up from Amazon. Was about $30. Rarely needed, but definitely a nice tool to have.

Reactions: Rhotpursuit

·
LS1 powa!
2,203 Posts
Interesting problem, I'm glad you solved it. I have the oval Wilwood master cylinder, and I didn't experience any issues with the setup. But your post made me think that perhaps I have a similar issue that is causing my left front brake to drag ever so slightly and pull to the left under hard braking. But the fronts are tied together, so it doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Interesting problem, I'm glad you solved it. I have the oval Wilwood master cylinder, and I didn't experience any issues with the setup. But your post made me think that perhaps I have a similar issue that is causing my left front brake to drag ever so slightly and pull to the left under hard braking. But the fronts are tied together, so it doesn't make sense.
Thanks. I actually found part of my solution out there on an Olds forum where the guy had a dragging issue on an old school 442. Thank goodness for the interweb!

What do you have in place for front brakes? Stock or ??? Any chance that the left may have a minor alignment issue with the rotor not being perfectly centered in the caliper bracket? I needed to shim both the front C6 and the rear Wilwood brackets slightly during my setup phase. Both install instructions were pretty specific about this. If you have the stock setup, this should not be an issue.

·
LS1 powa!
2,203 Posts
I have the 6 piston Willwoods up front. From what I remember, I measured both calipers and they were as close to centered as possible, given the shim thickness provided. However, the driver side was less centered than the right (like a few thou off). But if what you're suggesting is true, and the rotor needs to be exactly centered, then it's worth revisiting.
And yes, the web is a great thing! I miss the days when this forum was more active.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I would definitely check the centering situation. May or may not be the issue, but it is easy to do and may hopefully eliminate the issue. Wilwood assy instruction below for reference.

I was on the Impala SS forum for years. Used to be much more active than it is these days. Unfortunate!

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,611 Posts
Red Loc-Tite might be a bit much. I used it on some brake brackets once...never again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Red Loc-Tite might be a bit much. I used it on some brake brackets once...never again.
Agreed! I thought the same too - no Red on brake systems. The front Corvette calipers have a blue or green locker applied to the bolts. I went with a drop of blue on the Wilwoods and will check them from time to time.

Tim

·
LS1 powa!
2,203 Posts
I followed those instructions. My only issue is that they only ship you the 0.035" shims. When I went through this exercise, I couldn't adjust less than 0.035" either way, so I chose the way that was less off-center. The good news is they make other shims (albeit not many), so I will be ordering some up to see if this can be improved.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts