S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking at this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-7...33731QQitemZ8053527968QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
I have a 1998 s-10, v-6, ext cab, 5-spd, with a 10 bolt 7.5 (pretty sure, i know its not a 8.5.. so it has to be 7.5 right?) rear end. Would that rear end bolt right in my truck? What is the stock gear ratio in my truck? I am tired of the 1-wheel wonder.. looking for an inexpensive way to upgrade..
- Mike

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
Yep, should work for you. You'll have to change your gear ratio if you're running 3.08s or numerically lower gears tho. You can check your glove box RPO codes for the factory gear ratio. Yours is probably 3.08 (my truck is a 4.3/manual trans and has the same ratio).

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PSYKO_Inc said:
Yep, should work for you. You'll have to change your gear ratio if you're running 3.08s or numerically lower gears tho.
How do i know what gears i am running? I am running whatever came stock....?
- Mike

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, i looked it up and my RPO codes say i have the 3.08 gears, so this rear end should work right? Now my next and final question just to be sure is this. I emailed the guy about the rear end to see if it was the right one for my truck and here is what he had to say basically...

".... Like I said, as long as you have 3.08 or numerically higher, and you're sure you have the 7.652, GM stopped using 7.5 rings in 88 or 89, They are pretty much interchangable, you can use a 7.5 ring on a 7.625 carrier, but the 7.5 have 26 spline and the 7.625 have 28 spline. Thanks for looking and good luck!"

So will my truck work with this one? In my stock S-10 do i actually have the 7.652 / 28 spline one?
Is he correct? Did they stop using 7.5 rings in 88 or 89? If so i must have the 7.652 ones right? I just wanna make sure if i buy this thing that it will work for me :)
- Mike

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
Yes, they stopped the 7.5s and 26 spline axles in 89. However, that posi will NOT work with your current gears. You will need a new gearset that's 3.23 or numerically higher. You can pick up a used gearset pretty cheap on ebay. 2.2L trucks typically came with 3.73 gears which would be great for street performance with your 4.3

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PSYKO_Inc said:
Yes, they stopped the 7.5s and 26 spline axles in 89. However, that posi will NOT work with your current gears. You will need a new gearset that's 3.23 or numerically higher. You can pick up a used gearset pretty cheap on ebay. 2.2L trucks typically came with 3.73 gears which would be great for street performance with your 4.3
How bad do you think a 3.23 gear would hurt my gas milage? For some reason its already not that wonderful
- Mike

·
Registered
847 Posts
i gust did the same thing to my truck i also found it on ebay and i payed 77.00$ for it it worked great but my RING GEAR BOLTS ARE LEFT HAND THREAD!!!!
i stayed with stock gears.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts