S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fello gearheaded grease monkeys. Im contemplating swapping a 4.3 z for a 4.3 vortec.
I know ill have to swap the pcm. Other then that is there anything else that would cause me issue? Im getting mixed reviews so i thought I'd bring it up here. Thanksin advance to thoes that reply.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,177 Posts
Why would you do that??

·
Been there Done it
9,520 Posts
For starters it's illegal both federally and in most states to swap a dirtier older engine into a newer more environmentally friendly vehicle. Wiring will be a nightmare since TBI is OBD and Vortec is OBD2. If the truck in question is 98 or newer there will be other electrical issues without the correct computer.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,285 Posts
Slayer is right- the amount of crap you will have to flip/flop to make that work it would be quicker to buy the entire donor truck and stick your body onto it. That said- what is wrong with your 'z' ? that made you think of going that direction?

·
Been there Done it
9,520 Posts
I'm sorry, I may have miss understood you. You can replace a Z with a newer Vortec 4.3. But not the other way around. Just need to buy a carb intake and a carb to TBI plate to run the 96 up heads in the older truck. Then just run it as a TBI. No wiring changes needed. They do make a Vortec TBI intake but the price is insane. $454
Jegs has the carb on a Vortec intake for $160. You'll need the TBI plate, but they're cheap. Or make your own from a 3/8 sheet of steel or aluminum. just be sure it's flat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just so i understand correctly if I want to put the 96 vortec into my 90 s10 I need to change the intake manafold? Can you elaborate on that as to why? Just so I have a better understanding.
Thank you for taking the time to reply!

·
time to get cereal
3,916 Posts
It's not just the computer you would have to change. You would have to use the harness from the 96 as well. If wiring doesn't scare you, then it's not that big of a deal.

You would have to change the intake manifold if you wanted to keep your TBI system. If you are planning on using the CSFI system, then you'll have to change to the '96 PCM and wiring harness. It would be wise to have the factory service manual for both years to accomplish this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not just the computer you would have to change. You would have to use the harness from the 96 as well. If wiring doesn't scare you, then it's not that big of a deal.

You would have to change the intake manifold if you wanted to keep your TBI system. If you are planning on using the CSFI system, then you'll have to change to the '96 PCM and wiring harness. It would be wise to have the factory service manual for both years to accomplish this.
Ok, so the idea I have in my gray mushmellon is a full motor swap. If I use the pcm and wireing harness from the 96 I should be fine and wouldnt have to do the intake swap. Is that correct?
Thank you for taking the time to help me out with this. And sharing your expertise with me. It is very much appreciated

·
time to get cereal
3,916 Posts
Basically. The tricky part will be getting that harness to work with the rest of the truck's wiring. I would almost guarantee it would be easier to strip the '96 of all wiring and electronics and fit them to your truck if you want things to work seamlessly (gauges, ABS, etc.) You could always pull the bulbs from the gauge cluster to keep the ABS and SIR lights from being on all of the time.

If I were to do something like this, I would choose a newer model than a '96. A first gen with all of the fancy BCM controls of a 98+ would be pretty cool.

·
Registered
556 Posts
anything under 1998 isnt worth messing with. OBD1 is the most terrible thing ever. 1998 and above ius easily tuneable, and OBDii is worth its weight in gold compared to obd1.

If I were to do something like this, I would choose a newer model than a '96. A first gen with all of the fancy BCM controls of a 98+ would be pretty cool.
my 1985 has all 2006 wiring along with the inline 5 and 4l60

·
Been there Done it
9,520 Posts
I don't remember which is which, but 97 or 96 used a different wiring scheme for the ABS and A/C input to the PCM. If you use a 97 PCM in a 96 you lose A/C and ABS because of the differences. In 98 they finally decided which method worked best and kept that thru 00.
Actually the best way to do it would be to use an 01 wiring harness and instrument panel harness. Pretty much the same as 98-00 except you would gain the famed 0411 computer. The support for that PCM is way more popular than anything previous. Would still work with the 96 engine and you could turn off the ABS and SIR lights.
We haven't discussed the transmission control. If his 90 is an automatic it'll be very difficult to getting the TV cable to work on a Vortec. The geometry is tricky and finding a long enough cable too reach. He'd be better off swapping the engine AND trans from the 96 so the PCM could control it. It would also provide the correct VSS for the PCM. 96 was the first year of the newer style. (96-03)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have one of those TBI - Vortec intakes that is taking up space on my shop shelf. Vortec head mounting with 4 vertical bolts each side and configured for TBI. PM me if you're interested, mine is not nearly as expensive as new!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Basically. The tricky part will be getting that harness to work with the rest of the truck's wiring. I would almost guarantee it would be easier to strip the '96 of all wiring and electronics and fit them to your truck if you want things to work seamlessly (gauges, ABS, etc.) You could always pull the bulbs from the gauge cluster to keep the ABS and SIR lights from being on all of the time.

The 96 is what I have available. That would be cool :)
Thank you for taking your time to drop some knowledge on me. Very much appreciated their ManBearPig

1 - 14 of 14 Posts