S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This starter....

http://www.parts.s10v8.com/images/S10V8_MINI.jpg

I was putting everything together today and I realized that I have a 168 tooth flywheel. Not a 153 like I thought I was reading in the swap book and it says that it will not fit with the 168 tooth flywheel. But, on some threads I noticed that some were using it with the 168 tooth flywheel. Can someone please clarify for me!

By the way, its a 91 tbi 4 bolt 350. With the 92 s-10's rebuilt 700r4 behind it. I used the flywheel off of the 4.3 that came out of it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well my problem is, in the conversion manual (which i dont think is all that great myself) says that it will not clear the frame rail when used on the 168 tooth flywheel

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
If the manual states that it will not clear the framerail then it will not work with either flywheel, since it bolts up the same way no matter what. Maybe a manual typo?? I dunno, but it should work.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jimluc said:
If the manual states that it will not clear the framerail then it will not work with either flywheel, since it bolts up the same way no matter what. Maybe a manual typo?? I dunno, but it should work.
No, it bolts up one of two different ways. When you mount it for the 168 tooth it sticks out about 1/2" more. I was looking at my other s-10 just now, it really doesnt look like its gonna hit. I guess ill be the guinnea pig with this one.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
If you have a 153 tooth flywheel it should mount up in the closest postion,Im not positive if the starter itself cross refrencess the too patterns,but I have noticed most aftermarket starters are set up for both.....All else fails you'll know by the sound the first time you fire it off..:haha: ...but thats a lil late for the starter..:p

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The starter works. Ive cranked the engine over before with it on a hoist to check compression.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts