S-10 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
id get longer ones. the factory bolts are only there to hold the cover on.... now your relying on them to hold the rearend in place. Ya also want the maximum amount of threads holding as possible. For the new bolts, make sure to get grade 8 bolts and not just the regular.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I got mine at Auto Zone, it was some weird ass size, I'll look when I go home this friday if you still need em. I want to say 10mm with some weird pitch but I really can't remember. The package will say "for some American and Asian vehicles", it was weird.

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
If you have an ace hardware around, simply go to Ace and get what you need. They will most likely have it. As for the size...take one with you, and then you can compare. I would get a bolt that is 1/2" longer than stock. Don't forget to get lock washers as well, and use some blue lock tite. Also look in a chilton for proper torque specs. Not torqueing it right can lead to them backing out.

Also, while you're at it, get a new gasket, and new differential fluid and change out the both on your rear end. Might as well start fresh so you don't have to go taking this stuff apart again.

·
former owner
7,389 Posts
Surely they included them with your kit. If not, I believe mine were 5/16-18 x 1.5" long. But don't hold me to that, and that's for the SD diff bracket. It and the spacer ring may be of different thickness that the one you have, but I bet the lengths of the bolts will work the same.

Definitely get grade 8 and torque according to your Haynes or Chilton.

·
What next??
1,460 Posts
Yea I don't remember if I had to get new ones or if they came with my roadgrater kit. I remember having one break. I think thats what it was, they sent grade 5 ones, and I just replaced them all with grade 8.

·
What next??
1,460 Posts
I also have the best luck finding grade 8 bolts at lowes. Home depot doesn't have grade 8 and ace here is hit or miss for sizes, at least around here.

·
I Dropped it like its hot
150 Posts
the diff bracket should only be about 1/4" thick, get a bolt 1/4" longer(or whatever the thickness of the bracket is or else you wont be able to tighten them all the way)

·
I Dropped it like its hot
150 Posts
Check out Fastenall.com
they have everything and every grade and in some cases you can get nice stainless bolts

·
former owner
7,389 Posts
TheLowLife said:
the diff bracket should only be about 1/4" thick, get a bolt 1/4" longer(or whatever the thickness of the bracket is or else you wont be able to tighten them all the way)
1/4" per part. There's two parts. Diff bracket itself and the spacer ring.

TheLowLife said:
Check out Fastenall.com
they have everything and every grade and in some cases you can get nice stainless bolts

Are you sure it's two "L"s? That takes me to a site that links you to other sites for the fasteners. Try just one "L".

http://www.fastenal.com/

REDQUEEN said:
I called ART and he told me to go to Home deopt and get 5/18 x 1 1/2''.
I cant find grade 8 anywhere, All I find is grade 5.
I'll check Lows to day.

5/18 ??? :haha:

I think you meant what I said earlier. That's what I thought they were.

98SS said:
Surely they included them with your kit. If not, I believe mine were 5/16-18 x 1.5" long.
And yeah I've seen grade 8 at Lowe's.

EDIT: 4,000th post! :woot:

·
User Registered
1,931 Posts
im a little confused with whats going on here in other threads u say your running the airbar but if your replacing the airbar bracket with the RG bracket from ART then there the same you need to purchase the 10 bolt differential from jason

·
former owner
7,389 Posts
smoothsdime1998 said:
you need to purchase the 10 bolt differential from jason

Recommended, yes, but he doesn't have to. He can run the 5 bolt ART one, he'll just need 5 new longer bolts instead of 10.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts