S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys having here first post guess I popped my cherry here!! LOL!! Just found a 1995 S10 4.3 by 5 speed regular cab!! The truck is a regular cab with a 6 foot bed!
Wondering if my motorcycle will fit in the back I'm not worried about this spring sitting low I can always fix the suspension I want to make sure the motorcycle fits preferably straight in for a longer ride say 1100 miles to Florida visit friends once a year anyways the motorcycle is a 2003 Honda Magna 750cc it's a cruiser but it only looks like a cruiser it's a extremely fast bike keeps up with a Corvette looks like a regular Cruiser motorcycle but is a sleeper it weighs around 550 LBI believe if I recall the S10 is rated at 500 lbs so a long drive and may need helper springs or airbags on top of the Springs so I can load the bed I just want to know if it will fit with the tailgate closed straight in!!

Sent from my SM-A600T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure is but I haven't bought the truck yet and the bikes not here LOL what is the see what everybody else fit in a 6ft bed motorcycle wise that was kind of where this post was going

·
Registered
‘95 LS 2.2L Manual RWD
219 Posts
Your bed is 72" long.
Your bike is @ 90" long.
You'll have to leave the tailgate down. With your front tire straight against the center of the end gate, the rear tire will be sitting on the tailgate. My opinion, it would be OK if you were in a bind, but it will eventually bend the tailgate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Your bed is 72" long.
Your bike is @ 90" long.
You'll have to leave the tailgate down. With your front tire straight against the center of the end gate, the rear tire will be sitting on the tailgate. My opinion, it would be OK if you were in a bind, but it will eventually bend the tailgate.
That was the point of the post I want to take the bike to Florida ideally if it fits straight on an 1100 mile ride on Route 95 obviously with wind and all that and loading the bed I'm way better with it straight at that point I would probably consider just leaving the tailgate down loading it straight and strapping everything in not as ideal as the tailgate closed but sometimes you got to do what you got to do or consider putting the bike at an angle and I don't know that I want to do that for an 11 Hundred Mile ride down 95 at 80 miles an hour times with the bike at an angle for that many miles highway the other option is borrow or rent a trailer from U-Haul at the motorcycle routers like 15 bucks a maybe more if you take it out of state maybe I haven't had a truck or SUV in years lol

·
time to get cereal
3,916 Posts
You haven't bought the truck yet, so I'd look for a long bed instead.

Reactions: B95

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finding one with a 6 cylinder in a 5-speed with low miles and a bigger bed is somewhat difficult this one has leather bucket seats it's nice somehow it's a 1995 it was a second vehicle it has a hundred six thousand miles trucks that old there's mileage just don't exist most of them have already been buried let's face it most people beat beat on these trucks and then they put lots of miles or somebody put a V8 in it wants tons of money

·
time to get cereal
3,916 Posts
I guess if you're set on an S10 then that's true, but there's lots of other trucks out there that could do that job.

·
Registered
‘95 LS 2.2L Manual RWD
219 Posts
A 2x6 or 2x8 long enough to go under both wheels would take the load off the tailgate. Even putting it at an angle the rear wheel will be on the tailgate, so you gain nothing loading it at an angle and it will be harder to tie down properly.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,285 Posts
get a sheet of 1/2 plywood- cut to fit bed and the tailgate.you can also make
support bracket with 2x4 to help hold wheels straight up and down in addition to you tie down straps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are bed extenders available online, check them out you could probably fit your bike with one of those
The Bed Extender is a great idea although on a long ride I wouldn't want the added extra weight let's face it these are quarter ton trucks that would mean it's rated for around 500 lb I'm sticking a 600-pound motorcycle and Luggage in the bed and ramps so at that point I guess extra straps are much lighter than the Bed Extender I may be at that point I should just put a hitch on the back and go rent a U-Haul trailer take it one way to Florida hang out for my week or to go rent another one for the ride back

·
Registered
366 Posts
I believe the payload limit for the S10 is 800 lbs. I think some good ideas on how to hold the bike straight and supported in the bed have already been shared. As old as the truck is, I would definitely not trust the tailgate cables to support weight for the whole trip. They have been known the rust under the plastic coating. Mine (2003) even had a recall.

FWIW, I used to haul my '93 Honda Nighthawk 750 (460 dry weight) in my ZQ8 stepside bed, and if I turned the bike diagonal and unlocked the handle bars, I was able to close my tailgate. I assume your bike is longer than mine was, but even if it's in the bed straight, the rear tire may actually rest on the bed. Like has been stated, I'd measure from the front of the front tire to the point where the rear tire contacts the ground to determine if the extra effort and cost are necessary.

·
time to get cereal
3,916 Posts
Just put the Z85 leafs on the back, easy way to increase the GVWR to 5150lbs.

·
Registered
‘95 LS 2.2L Manual RWD
219 Posts
I used to haul my '93 Honda Nighthawk 750 (460 dry weight) in my ZQ8 stepside bed, and if I turned the bike diagonal and unlocked the handle bars, I was able to close my tailgate.
Your Nighthawk is 84" long with a wheelbase of 59.3". His Magna is 93" long with a wheelbase of 65". That's 9" longer overall and with both front wheels straight and against a wall, the rear tire contact is 71.5" on your Nighthawk and 79" on the Magna. That would put your rear tire sitting right on the edge of the bed and his Magna's rear tire 7" onto the tailgate.

With his forks at full lock, front wheel all the way in the front corner, and the rear of the bike pulled over where the pipes hit the side of the bed, his rear tire will still be sitting on the tailgate. In a stepside bed it would be even farther back. So, loading it diagonally won't gain him anything.

As far as overloading the truck, you'll definitely feel it but I don't think it will overload it. I'm pretty sure the '95 was rated at higher than a 500lb payload.

·
Early Member
3,164 Posts
Trailer time.

Reactions: caveman110

·
Registered
366 Posts
Your Nighthawk is 84" long with a wheelbase of 59.3". His Magna is 93" long with a wheelbase of 65". That's 9" longer overall and with both front wheels straight and against a wall, the rear tire contact is 71.5" on your Nighthawk and 79" on the Magna. That would put your rear tire sitting right on the edge of the bed and his Magna's rear tire 7" onto the tailgate.

With his forks at full lock, front wheel all the way in the front corner, and the rear of the bike pulled over where the pipes hit the side of the bed, his rear tire will still be sitting on the tailgate. In a stepside bed it would be even farther back. So, loading it diagonally won't gain him anything.

As far as overloading the truck, you'll definitely feel it but I don't think it will overload it. I'm pretty sure the '95 was rated at higher than a 500lb payload.
Good info, that's why I told him to check the wheelbase. Full lock did not provide the ideal placement for my bike, which is why I mentioned unlocking the handlebars, which could lead to an easy theft if on a long trip (my key couldn't be removed with out locking the handlebars; I don't know if all bike are like this). Loading my bike to fit also required me to lift and scoot the rear over, and I did nick the paint with both the kick stand and exhaust.

As far as weight goes, I never had any problems, even with the ZQ8 suspension. The 4.3 has plenty of torque, and as long as the cargo is secured, a motorcycle shouldn't be an issue. Not saying you can autocross...

(edited for poor spelling)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Get a piece of 6 or 8 inch wide x 3/16 or 1/4 in thick steel channel long enough for both tires to sit in. Use that to support the weight of the rear tire over the tailgate. Can also be used as the ramp, though you will have to hop the tires into it after getting the bike in the bed of the truck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts