S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Eat My Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a stupid question but I picked up an 03 Sonoma and the door handles and the tailgate handle look like they are the same size. Anyone used a door handle to make a key matched locking tailgate? Just curious.

·
Ford Lightning Owner
5,875 Posts
No, I tried it the door handle won't fit on account of the lock cylinder. The lock cylinder sits low on the handle and you can't slip it into the tailgate handle hole.

·
Eat My Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...and you don't need to have any exposed locks on the tonneau or extra keys if you have it keyed the same. I don't know seemed pretty obvious to me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i've taken out both my door handles and my tailgate handle to be shaved. the way the mechanism moves on the 2 handles are totally different. the door handle moves a rod up and down to open the latch on your door, and the tailgate handle moves 2 rods left to right and right to left to open the latches on the side of the bed. so even if the handle did fit it wouldn't work. plus the locking feature on the door handle goes to a little lever on the door latch. that is where the door locks, not in the handle.

no ideas are stupid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts