S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to do a V8 conversion in my 1994 4.3 Sonoma soon, I recently got the trans rebuilt and would like to keep it. Would the 4L60-E work with a carbed engine as long as I keep the computer to control the shifts. I am not really sure what the engine has to do with the shifting as long as I keep the computer. My engine is a 4.3 TBI. Thanks

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
I think you will need special programing becuase I think the 4l60e shifts at rpms&speed measurements. So itll have the speed if its still hooked to the computer but hows it gonna read the rpms from a computerless motor?

·
Registered
507 Posts
You'll need a stand alone computer to make the trans shift, TCI and others make them. Each brand has different features, most allow you to adjust shift timing and firmness, etc.
They cost around $400-500.
These are made to control the trans when swapped into an older non computerized vehicle.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
I agree, the comp uses readings from the engien to shift properly, it will not work if you just have the tranny hooked up.

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
Woohoo I was right. Anyways why wouldnt your go to 700r4? What is special about the 4l60e? You can go to a salvage yard and probloly swap them out and still get some $ in yo pocket

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason I wanted to stick with the 4L60E is because I just got a full B&M rebuild and it has only 4K miles on it, however I can either sell it or trade it for a 700R4 I guess. Talking to some people here I would have to agree with you guys and just run a 700R4.

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
Just call the yards see who has one and call again or have someone else and see what they will pay for a 4l60e with all the options or Ebay that bad boy or put it up here. You will have to run a TV cable and what not for the 700R-4 but Im sure you wont have any problems and thats one less computer controled part.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts