S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really sure if this fits under sound or electical, but this seems like a better place for it. The other day, I changed out my deck for a better one. I've hooked up many decks with no problem. This time, both harnesses had "positive dimmer" wire, so I decided to connect the two so that My deck would dim with the dash lights. So after installing, I put the dash back on and connected the headlight and dimmer switch back up. The door chime didn't come on like it usually does when its open, and when i'd dim the switch, the dash would dim, and the deck would get brighter. Figured something was wrong so i just disconnected them. Since the door chime didnt work, I checked the fuse and sure enough it was blown. When I put it back in, and hit the cation switch above the column, it blew the fuse. Now every time i put a fuse in, it blows it. Now I dont have any brake lights since the fuse keeps blowing. Any one know whats wrong or how I can fix it? Could it possibly be something like a bad caution switch or something?

·
Banned
2,361 Posts
how did you ground your headunit? ive always screwed stuff up like that trying to hook the dimmer switch up so the headunit would dim... so i never mess with it. take it all back out and re-hook it up withought the dimmer bullcrap. if it still blows a fuse then check how you grounded the head unit. if its a real crazy/high power headunit you might need to run a separate/bigger guage ground wire to chassis. if it still blows fueses then it sounds to me like you blew a fusable link somewhere. just have to get a testlight and ohmeter out and check ohm's on each wire?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, its grounded through the factory harness, so thats not a problem. The only thing that i did diff. with the new deck is hook the two dimmer wires together. When i saw that it didnt work right, i disconnected them and capped them off. Ill try taking the deck out this weekend and see if it makes a difference. If not, im totally in the dark. Im gonna be at gator drag all weekend so i might not have time to mess with it though.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It had nothing to do with the wiring!!! A wire under my steering column got pinced where those big torx screws are, and it was grounding out. Works fine now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts