S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering why and how some of you guys have done performance upgrades on your 4.3's. Why not just put in a V8?

·
ZQ8 2001
901 Posts
because anyone can take a V8 and be fast... thats just plain and boring IMO. now if you take a built V6 and blow the doors of those 302 mustang pricks, and those LT1 lamers... thats badass. and doin it in a pickup is just adding insult to injurt.

sum up... built V6 pickup > all

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Why not?. It's nothing but a small block chevy missin the last two cylinders.......8-12 grand to do a conversion right. or half that for a SC and 300+horsepower. You can build a 350+ NA 4.3 for about 4500. Still half an 8 Conversion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 4.3 Vortec is a hell of a motor. But it eats gas like a V-8. Some underdriven pulleys, a K&N, throttle body spacer, and the addition of headers and an exhaust oughta build up nice, AND save you lots of dough to spend elsewhere.

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
I look at it this way. I have V8 truck only because my truck was originally a 2.8, not a 4.3 truck. if it was a 4.3 it would still be a 4.3!

there are alot of costs that I didn't account for when I started my conversion. Now that the swap is all but finished..I would have done it again! it was fun, really easy(all bolt in) and I enjoyed doin it.

But I have to tell ya..there are peeps around town here that I would love to whoop there ass with a built 4.3l
some of them are mustang pricks that will only race V6's cuz they are scared of anything else..LOL...and I would love to kick there ass like that!

but the V8 is the next best thing!

·
bagged after winter
2,721 Posts
STFU Stylez28. Well this winter (if all goes well) i planning on taking out the 2.2L and throughing in a v8, but now what red has said, maybe a 4.3L wouldn't be a bad investment. I'd like to run 12s for around 2000-2500, what do you guys think?

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
ive done both...my current truck has a v-8 in it, and i have a 96 4.3 bored 30 over, hyperutechtic pistons, crane cam....i was gonna put that in my other truck that had a 2.2, but i sold it. heh. anyone want i rebuilt 4.3?? hehe lata

dave

·
Aviation Ordnanceman
201 Posts
Rebuilt 4.3 How much.

I've been looking for one actually, new, used, rebuilt. I guess I just need the accessories and emmisions from a 97-up correct?

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
PisOnCavalier said:
STFU Stylez28. Well this winter (if all goes well) i planning on taking out the 2.2L and throughing in a v8, but now what red has said, maybe a 4.3L wouldn't be a bad investment. I'd like to run 12s for around 2000-2500, what do you guys think?
You may see 12's for 2500 but your not going to do it without sprayin the motor. Not that thats a bad thing...:thumbup:

·
AZX in PHX
189 Posts
02REDXBLAZE said:
You may see 12's for 2500 but your not going to do it without sprayin the motor. Not that thats a bad thing...:thumbup:
You are right about one thing.. The $$ involved in getting a 4.3L to the 12's is going to be spraying if you only have 2500 to put into it, but you can get into the 12's with a 4.3L without spraying.. Only problem is it will cost a lot more.. NA at least 250 to the rear wheels then charge it up and there is a chance you can do 12s.. We are talking at least 10G's to do so..

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
10k is a little high lol. I have been looking into it and you can build a mid to high twelve motor for about 4000...Still a hell of a lot less than a V-8...

·
Accent, what accent
780 Posts
I wont talk $$$ that went into my 4.3 Z engine, I will say that b/c its a daily driver I didn't do a v8. with the exception of the intake & the cam most 350 parts will work for a build up. you can see what I did in my sig.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Re: Why would you build up a 4.3?

96blazer said:

It's not that easy.
A V8 swap cost more money, there's issues with emissions and warranties, and much more.
I don't have to worry about emissions and I'm far away from a warranty. I'm not sold either way. On one hand there is no replacement for displacement. And on the other it sounds bad ass to have a 4.3 that would put a Cobra to shame, don't know about a supercharger though. Hell I don't know.:dunno: I have a V8 that I can put in the truck. This sucks.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Hell, if you've got the V8, go ahead and drop it in. If I had a V8 laying around my garage it'd be in my truck, too. Although having a fast 4.3 would be badass as well.

Decisions, decisions... :D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts