S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Alsek Spring & Fab Ltd.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone figure this one out for me???

OK, so for starters, I pull my truck in the garage to start reworking the rear bag setup. This was about 3 weeks ago.
When I put it in the garage, the truck was running fine, no problems.

So I go to start it the other day, and it wont fire up. It was turning over alright but it just wouldnt start.

I didnt touch any engine related components or anything. (I just started to work on the suspension yesterday, after it wouldnt start.)

there is fuel in the tank and the battery was good. new alternator, and I also had the dealership put it a new ignition coil this spring. It seems to be acting similar to when the coil went; It just wont start!

Im not the best at engine stuff and troubleshooting so if anyone can help me please do.

The only thing I have noticed over the last few months was that if I didnt drive the truck for 2 or 3 days, it didnt run very well.

Im thinking that this is related because it hasnt been started for 3 weeks.

Like I said, Im not an expert with engine stuff but If I can find out what the problem is, I can usually fix it myself.

For the record, it is a 1997 sonoma with about 170,000 KMs

·
Banned
21,222 Posts
170k km's eh......

125k'ish miles?

When were plugs/wires changed last?

Its not the starter since its turning over, u can rule that out. You'd just hear a click.....

·
rollin low in the 505
365 Posts
spray a small amount of starter fluid or even throtle body cleaner in it and crank it over if it runs for a few sec its fuel related if not then start looking at your coils and stuff is there any drain in your bat i once had a truck that would have just a nuf drain to turn the motor over but not start it. just a thought. by the way dont go overboard with the spray cuz its not the best for the engine but a few sec wont hurt

·
Registered
10 Posts
if you took your bed off you had to undo a couple of ground wires at the rear of the frame. one of the wires on the driver side grounds the fuel pump. put it back on and see what happens. if thats not it i dont know what the problem is

·
Alsek Spring & Fab Ltd.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
on the newer s10's the ground wires are to the frame. or at least mine were. Im pretty sure it wasnt something I disconnected because I drove it for a day when the bed was off.

as for the plugs they were replaced with those 100,000 KM ones. only 2 years ago. the plug wires havent been changed as far as I know..

Is it possible that I could have got a lemon for a coil? its only been in for 6 months.

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
check and make sure you are getting fuel..at the right pressure. could've you kinked a line some how???

·
Alsek Spring & Fab Ltd.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont think I kinked a line or anything....

Ill have to play around with it and hopefully its nothing major (im broke)

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
Shot in the dark..but I have HEARD someplace you can possibly fry the computer sometimes from jumping (the battery)...sounds far fetched to me..but I heard it.

Did you check any fuses? That would be an easy place to look.

And like someone said above, look at all your wiring closely- harnesses loose? connectors..pinched wire, etc etc.

Make sure you have the fuel pressure/delivery for sure- Just ideas..spark and fuel- the air should be there.
-J

1 - 9 of 9 Posts