S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck died on the freeway the other day. Now when I start it, it runs fine like nothing happened, but I'm not gonna risk it on the freeway.

One thing that did change however, was when my fuel pump was on. Before it would prime for two seconds after I turn the key on. Now it stays on full time with the key. I know it didn't do that before. I'm gonna change the fuel pump for the heck of it later, but I'll start by figuring this out. Is there a priming relay I need to replace? Or is this in the computer? Thx, Josh.

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
The pcm uses a signal to energize a fuel pump relay. The relay is located next to your brake booster on the fire wall. I belive the fuel pump relay is fed by the ignition switch so the problem may just be a shorted relay. if thats not the problem I would suspect the pcm.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm. I hope it's just a relay. I bought one from GM for $7.71 my price, so even if it isn't the problem, that's good assurance.

I hope it's not the computer! I don't want to rip my dash apart to replace the computer only to have to do it again in the fall for the TPI computer!!!!

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
Its not too hard to get to the computer though. It would suck to put in a new computer just to put one in a few months down the road though.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I'm thinking of replacing the fuel pump, since it's a lifetime replacement unit, and wiring in a jump switch for in case I lose the voltage to the pump. That way I'll just jump the wiring while I'm using the V6 for these last couple months till I pass emissions so I can put the V8 in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts