S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought this '98 S10 2.2L in order to get better mileage for a daily driver; and I am not getting the results that I think I should be getting. Here is a list of the current "mods" that I have done to try to get the better mileage.

(Extended Cab - 2.2L - 4:10 gears)

• Cheap eBay CAI - (K&N coming soon)
  • OBX header with magnaflow high flow catalytic converter and high flow muffler
  • Electric fan
  • Underdrive pullies

Currently getting about 300 miles for a tank of gas; and I have gotten the exact same mileage with 87 and 93 octane. Mostly highway driving 60-65 to work; but sometimes I have to get around big rigs so I do have to punch every now and then..

·
Registered Hoosier
4,774 Posts
What mileage are you getting? I can get about 25 mpg if I keep it @55mph.
Mine is a 2002, and is all stock.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
the 4.10's dont seem to help much at highway speeds....

·
Registered
207 Posts
My stock 98, 5 speed, 3.73 gets 27 mpg hwy, and 19 mpg pulling my 16' gooseneck trailer. I just installed an electric fan kit and havn't had a chance to check the mileage yet. The 4.10's will give more pulling power, but you lose mileage. 5 speed with 3.73's is the way to go.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry forgot to add that it is a 5 speed.

I get about 21-23 MPG; but I wanted to get in the 28+ range if at all possible.

So gears are the answer? The motor has 164k with a recent full blown tune up when I bought it this past April.

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
gears are killing ya

·
Registered
207 Posts
sorry forgot to add that it is a 5 speed.

I get about 21-23 MPG; but I wanted to get in the 28+ range if at all possible.

So gears are the answer? The motor has 164k with a recent full blown tune up when I bought it this past April.
yes, go to 3.73's and see what happens. I am a welder and I pull a welding machine on a trailer. My S10 does the job cheeper than my 88 Ford F250 diesel will. If you need any custom welding done come to Columbia,La. and look me up. By the way, 1979 chevy 3/4 ton rear springs will fit the S10. I know, because I put some under mine.

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
I would not say the gears are killing him, i say that because i topped 29 MPG going 100% pure highway with my RPM at 3200 going 70. My smaller tires are hurting my top end a little bit but they are wider than stock so that should hurt MPG too (guess lowering helped).

If you do go with 3.73 gears you could get worse mileage because the engine has to work harder to get you to speed pulling all that weight of the extra cab, wasting more gas. i think the 4.10s are more efficient moving a lot of weight....but even though its a 5 speed it still comes down to driving habit.

mine i average 25-27 mixed driving.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shouldn't the mileage vary based on the Octane Rating? Why do I get the same mileage with regular as I do super?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I dont think its going to matter based on octane rating seeing as the engine was built to run on 87. Its what the owners manual says to use. The higher octane gases are only worth it on vehicle built to run on them. and besides even if you do get better gas mileage using a 93 octane the extra it costs would defeat the whole purpose of getting better gas mileage.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I only put two tanks of 93 through it just as a test to see; which I usually run 87 all day every day.

However I know about the cost of running 93 all day as that is what the '95 requires so that is why I am trying to get better mileage out of this puppy.. :)

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
it's not so much the gears as i have 99 auto ext and carry 150lbs in back get 20 from 0-45mph and 26 on highway. what you should do is get a live data scanner and look at the o2 activity,see if it changes numbers quickly like 1-2 changes a second if slower than sensor is bad as they don't have life past 70,000 mi.a slow or frozen o2 is time for replacement.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the same problem with my 95 2.2L 5speed. Well first off the engine is gutless but even still when i first bought it I would get 28mpg and over 500miles to a tank, now I'm getting 21-22mpg and maybe 400miles if I am lucky.

What has happened? I have no idea, all I know is that I have done a full tune up plugs, wires, o2, oil, oil filter, air filter, new evap canister, and a new exhaust and only marginal improvements.

I'm gonna change the fuel filter again and see if that helps.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the same problem with my 95 2.2L 5speed. Well first off the engine is gutless but even still when i first bought it I would get 28mpg and over 500miles to a tank, now I'm getting 21-22mpg and maybe 400miles if I am lucky.

What has happened? I have no idea, all I know is that I have done a full tune up plugs, wires, o2, oil, oil filter, air filter, new evap canister, and a new exhaust and only marginal improvements.

I'm gonna change the fuel filter again and see if that helps.
Let me know what your findings are as I am stumped like you are.

To answer the other question that was asked, yes I have stock rims/tires.

·
Super Moderator
20,570 Posts
When's the last time you had transmission/rear end frush fluids/filter(trans)?

What brand are these parts are you using because AC Delco/IGK plugs works best. Taylor, MSD, AC Delco plug wires. Wix or AC Delco fuel filter. Also depends on which fuel do you use? I lost average of 3mpg on general cheap fuel brand that isn't Mobil or Chevron.

Air in tires are to check as well as alignment, if they are out of shape, bad camber, it'll hurt your mpg a bit.

·
Super Moderator
20,570 Posts
I'll add that header doesn't gain much mpg, I did see minimal gain but that's along with rest of my mods I've done.

Efan, Pullies will help you gain some mpg/power back.

I would rather use stock filter mount than aftermarket eBay filter because this way you can use Wix filter for maximum filtering and you still gain bit power due to less air travel.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
change the rest of your sensors......
What are you talking about?

When's the last time you had transmission/rear end frush fluids/filter(trans)?

What brand are these parts are you using because AC Delco/IGK plugs works best. Taylor, MSD, AC Delco plug wires. Wix or AC Delco fuel filter. Also depends on which fuel do you use? I lost average of 3mpg on general cheap fuel brand that isn't Mobil or Chevron.

Air in tires are to check as well as alignment, if they are out of shape, bad camber, it'll hurt your mpg a bit.
I will try to answer this as best as I can. I bought the truck used in March of this year and I tore down basically the interior of the truck as I wanted power everything. Well during the time I had it down I started seeing things that should have been changed for quite some time. So in the end I have changed since owning the truck the radiator, water pump, alternator, plugs and wires, fuel filter, fuel pump, all brand new tires, all brand new steering stuff up front with an alignment. Everything I put on besides the mods were factory AC Delco parts. I have no idea on how long each of the fluids have been in the truck as I bought it used and didn't ask the original owner those type of questions. I only use Chevron gas due to having a gas card that I use for fuel only.

If there is anything else you need to know if I haven't answered it already please feel free to ask, as I am trying to get this thing running better.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts