S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Dynomax cat back exhaust for a 4 door Blazer since it's cheap and I was going to cut it up anyways to fit my 2 door. The rear tail pipe is the same, BUT the hanger mount is in a different spot so it can't be used. The muffler that came with it was huge and wouldn't work since I had no room to put a head pipe on it. It looks like there might be issues with the rear shocks and the cutout in the frame when using 2 1/2" pipe. The only pre made kit is a Gibson, but I don't want to spend that much. What is everyone else doing?

·
Extended cab or no cab.
19,984 Posts
It sounds like it sucks because its made for 4 dr and you're putting it on a two door. What did you expect to line up?

·
Dig Or Die=I Die
2,022 Posts
I just had a free flowing muffler welded on and the cat replaced with a 3" pipe.

Dyno max does have just a tail pipe that is supposed to be 2.5". You could just get a muffler shop to bend you up a bigger tail and/or Y pipe. That's what most do.

·
Negative 10
22,389 Posts
yea dont get a premade kit for something you dont have. you should have just gone to an exhaust shop and had them make you an exhaust

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 4 door and 2 door tail pipe is exactly the same from the muffler back. The problem is they apparently have the rear hanger in a different spot on the 4 doors. I figured I'd only need to splice in a shorter head pipe to make it work. The muffler that comes with the kit is too long. I bought a shorter Cherry Bomb turbo muffler that would work, but I have to figure out new hangers for it. I don't trust any muffler shops around here and I don't think any of them do mandrel pipe, only crush bend. I think I figured out how to make the tailpipe work with the existing hangar but I need a long bolt to bolt it to the frame in a different spot that I didn't have laying around. I'm also thinking about just doing a turndown after the muffler.

·
King Turd Polisher
559 Posts
Meh ... mandrel or not, have a shop do it. You're not running a dedicated track-ripping monster, just a run-of-the-mill 4.3 V6, so you're not going to feel, hear, or see any difference in power, economy, or sound between a system made with mandrel or standard bends. Unless you're planning ahead with the expectation that you'll be dropping in a beefed-up V8 later on and using the same exhaust system, then it's really not worth worrying about.

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really? Jackasses. Because I want to modify something to fit my Blazer you want to give me shit? I thought that's what mini truckin and car customizing was about. Making things work that aren't always intended to be on your model vehicle. Exhaust shops in my area are hacks and all the ones I've used years ago did shitty welding and would cut off flanges and just weld pipes on instead of doing the right way and bolting a pipe with a flange on. I have it figured out how to make it work, I just haven't had time to get in the garage and put it together.

·
99 Xtreme
1,941 Posts
If your able to modify something, then go for it... but I don't see why anyone would waste money on a kit just to hack it up.

If the shops sucked so bad, you'd still be better off driving to a city close by that does decent work.

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The shops in the big city by me suck. They're all half ass hacks. The kit is a Dynomax that was like $125 from Summit with a $75 rebate. The rear pipe alone would have cost me about $55 shipped. I was expecting to be able to use the muffler but it's much longer than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like you just don't know what you were doing and hold grudges against shops because they charge people money, like you, that don't know what they're doing. Experience costs money.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
29,545 Posts
Sounds like you just don't know what you were doing and hold grudges against shops because they charge people money, like you, that don't know what they're doing. Experience costs money.
Speaking of not knowing what you're doing, are you aware that this thread is 10 years old? Leave these dead threads alone to Rest In Peace.

Closed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.