S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My blazer is lowered 4" in the front by using djm lower control arms and 4 cyl coil and 4" block w/notch it rides good. i have heard that the control arms are crap and i was just wondering what is wrong with them. i would really like to know the truth

·
dubdS10
1,275 Posts
Because they hang lower than stock arms and if you run a small enough rim/tire combo you have the chance of catching them on a rock or bump in the road and ripping them off. You also CAN'T use them with drop coils. You're not supposed to and you shouldn't use them with drop spindles either. Basically you're limited to the 3" drop them give and if you ever bag it you'll need to toss them cause they are no good to use, you need drop spindles with stock control arms for bags.

Nate

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i noticed that i have little clearance between the spring buckets and the road. which doesnt bother me too much. but the craftsmanship is good and the ride is nice and smooth. thnks

·
dubdS10
1,275 Posts
You can run spindles, but if you think about it, the spindles raises the wheels, so the stock LCA is now 2" closer to the road, as well as your frame of course. Now you add the Drop LCAs and now they are 5" closer technically than a stock one. So even more of a chance in getting caught. That's why I say it's best to be used by themselves or not at all, especially if you ever want to go lower or upgrade and get bags. I know with my tire/rim right now If I had LCAs I'd be about 1" away from the ground to them, which doesn't sit right with me, a little too dangerous.

I'm sure somebody will understand my ramblings about this, but that's how I figure it although I've never tried it nor will I, but I've seen it done and it looked pretty damn dangerous judging by how low the LCAs were.

Nate

·
Hates 'know-it-alls'
26,065 Posts
I never said they weren't dangerous to run with spindles, I myself would never run drop LCAs with or without spindles. I don't like them, and don't like the idea of snapping a control arm while driving down the highway. I was just merely mentioning that it is possible to run them with spindles.

·
dubdS10
1,275 Posts
Yeah I know..but it's the same kind of thing with 5" blocks, they make them so guys are going to use them, even though there are better and safer options out there.

Nate

·
Better post-em.
11,303 Posts
they have 5" blocks?!?!? to me thats just crazy. i looked under mine today and i was thinking 3" lower to the ground with drop spindles aboit 1" -2" from ground, id rather get drop coils and spindles, and not be paranoid about getting stuff stuck under thare(roadkill)

but ya people will buy whatever they want not thinking about "what if" or how safe this is

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i know they are not safe i didnt have the money at the time to go spindle and coil...i had drop coils on the btw...and the ride was horriable...i hit the stock bumpstop sometimes and it didnt ride smooth...now with the lca and a 4cyl coil the ride is stock...becides my tire combo...zr rated=trash..lol...they are stiff...but ill i drive is freeway so i dont think that anything will rip them off...i had cars twice as low as my lca and they never hit a thing....thnks for the comments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts