S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Under pressure
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know who makes headers (either shorty or full length) for a 98 Sonoma 4.3? I have an extended cab and need a full offroad exhaust system. Anybody know who makes 'em?

thanks!

·
BLAZIN SADDLE
1,394 Posts
EDELBROCK and JBA should make them. I looking into some too. :chomp:

3-Billet Bowtie
4-255/45/18 Pirelli Zero's on HALO rims
5-Boston Acoustics speakers in doors/dash
6-Pioneer 6x9's in the back seat area
7-K&N GEN II
8-FlowMaster 40series with 2 1/4 pipe Magnaflow SS tip
9-2/3 DROP with Belltech Spindles and Blocks
10-Poweraid Spacer
11-Removed MAF Screen
12-JL amp and one 10” JL subwoofer
13-SS mirrors WHITE, matching handles
14-Shaved Emblems
15- HPPIII

And a list one mile long

·
ZQ8 2001
901 Posts
i recommend the edelbrocks also. i have them and they work great. ive heard of guys having problems with the JBA's due to the #3 cyl primary tube wrapping around the steering column and burning thru brake lines. pretty poor design IMO.

edelbrock all the way :)

·
BLAZIN SADDLE
1,394 Posts
HEY GUYS, what kind of finish does the EDELBROCK TES come in?

3-Billet Bowtie
7-K&N GEN II
10-Poweraid Spacer
11-Removed MAF Screen
14-Shaved Emblems
15- HPPIII

And a list one mile long

·
ZQ8 2001
901 Posts
it comes in black paint that burns off and turns white within minutes. they explain in the instructions that the paint is only to keep the headers safe during shipping.. and that if you want a permanent finish to sandblast them and use hightemp header paint.

before:

after:

·
BLAZIN SADDLE
1,394 Posts
DoubleDown said:
it comes in black paint that burns off and turns white within minutes. they explain in the instructions that the paint is only to keep the headers safe during shipping.. and that if you want a permanent finish to sandblast them and use hightemp header paint.

before:

after:
Whats a good price for the EDELS and will they mount up to the stock Y-pipe? Whats a good price for the EDELS and will they mount up to the stock Y-pipe? A performance shop mechanic that does headers all the time will do chrome JBA's purchased and installed for $800 I'v found that the shorties are cheaper than fulls, that seems like alot? Also I can't tell but are the EDLES shorties?

3-Billet Bowtie
7-K&N GEN II
10-Poweraid Spacer
11-Removed MAF Screen
14-Shaved Emblems
15- HPPIII

And a list one mile long

·
ZQ8 2001
901 Posts
the edelbrocks are shorty headers and come with a new ypipe. new from summit they are $350 + ship. you can install them yourself... it just takes a LONG time... allow at least a full day - maybe two if you take a lot of breaks like i do. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any body know what kind of ...

Any body know what kind of power increase you get??
Any one have some ratings or track times??

·
BLAZIN SADDLE
1,394 Posts
DoubleDown said:
the edelbrocks are shorty headers and come with a new ypipe. new from summit they are $350 + ship. you can install them yourself... it just takes a LONG time... allow at least a full day - maybe two if you take a lot of breaks like i do. :)
(DoubleDown) I have a BLAZER and I hear the blazer Y-pipe is bigger than the trucks, also I have a pre-cat and I'm in Cali. the regulated Sh$t hole of USA so does the EDELBROCK Y-pipe not have a pre-cat? I will look into LAWS to see if it is still LEGAL in Cali. Also GREAT info. :thumbup:

3-Billet Bowtie
7-K&N GEN II
10-Poweraid Spacer
11-Removed MAF Screen
14-Shaved Emblems
15- HPPIII

And a list one mile long

·
ZQ8 2001
901 Posts
is your ypipe flanged before the precat?

the edelbrock ypipe has a flange that is supposed to bolt up to the flange on the cat, but that was for a 1998. on my 2001, they welded the precat and cat into the ypipe, so i had to cut them off and have them welded up. (i also removed my precat at this time :thumbup: ).

if you have a 3 bolt flange before your cat assembly, the edelbrock y pipe should bolt right up. if not, you can have it adjusted by a good exhaust shop like i did. ill try to get pics of it from underneath soon. :)

·
BLAZIN SADDLE
1,394 Posts
Both of my cats are welded and the flange is at the muffler. If I do this my self I'll have to drive it to the muller shop with a open Y-pipe also I have a O2 sen. on my Y-pipe does EDELBROCK have that hook up on there Y-pipe? The JBA is deal is a simple hook up but if the EDEL Y-pipe is bigger it maybe worth it. What size is your Y-pipe? :bh:

3-Billet Bowtie
7-K&N GEN II
10-Poweraid Spacer
11-Removed MAF Screen
14-Shaved Emblems
15- HPPIII

And a list one mile long

·
ZQ8 2001
901 Posts
the ypipe is 2.25" under the tranny, i think. then it collects to a 3" exit. it has plenty of spots to put the o2 sensors.. and plugs for the holes you dont use. i had to drive to the exhaust shop open header also, they reflanged the ypipe, and ran full 3" up over the cross member and into the cat (only one now ;))

ill go put it up on ramps and get some pics

·
Registered
664 Posts
which headers do you think will last longer, the edelbrocks or the jba's. And I would figure they would put out about the same performance right?

·
ZQ8 2001
901 Posts
i dont like the design of the jba's, how the #3 cylinder primary tube wraps around the steering shaft. i think both would last about the same. if you live in a wet climate or something thats going to be snow driven, i would recommend a ceramic coating to prevent rusting. other than that, either should last a long time.

·
Registered
664 Posts
JBA makes two versions right?, but is not coated and the other more expensive version is coated. When I buy a pair, I want to get the right ones, I heard the Edelbrocks can come loose.

·
Sold
4,592 Posts
i have had my jba headers for 2 years now they have not come loose at all no leaks and still are the same color they were when i put them on.
i do like the fact that the edelbrocks come with a nice y pipe from looking at the pics doubledown posted though.
they both should give about the same gains.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts