S-10 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
BodyDropped Member
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey like the title says, I need somebody to build me a ported box for my 2 12 inch RE SX subs, i have no experience with porting boxes, and i think there are some people on here that can build for other people. i can ask the local audio shop but i am pretty sure they will RIP me off! O by the way this is going in an extended cab s10! thanks
kenny

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Yep, shipping on a box would be awful, your location is the crucial factor here if you are aiming for saving some bucks.

If nothing else, we could walk you through the design phase of building it yourself.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

·
BodyDropped Member
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i live in lansing michigan, i would like to build it myself, just dont have ANY experience in this field of ported boxes lol

·
FI Car Audio FTW!!!
1,615 Posts
Well ya don't pop out teh chute knowing it all. You start somewhere. You could pay someone to design the enclosure for you. The woodworking part you only learn from experience. There are plenty of people on this forum and other car audio forums (including me) that design boxes for others. The next step is for you to do the work yourself.

At the end of the day you can say "I made this all by myself."

If not someone will just build you a box and you'll pay $$$ to ship it :)

Tempe

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I can vouch for Tempe's abilities, he's a smart dude! If you want someone to design your box, I wouldn't hesitate to have him do it. Good suggestion T.

·
BodyDropped Member
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tempe i tried PMing you and your box is full, would you be willing to design a box for me? i can build them as far as the woodwork, but id just like to have somebody who knows about porting the boxes to design it so i dont mess it up. Also, i hooked my stuff up today, the amp is supposed to put out 1200 watts rms into 2 ohms, i've got the subs at 2 ohms and everything is dandy, i go to hear them, and it just seems to be not very loud at all, it sounds good, just want more spl, my cd player does not have very many options for adjusting things, its a jvc indash tv, do you think i need an external EQ? would that help or what? also it cannot hit some notes very good at all which i am assuming thats my HPF and LPF filters, what should i have those set at to get maximun performance?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
You aren't running the subs without enclosures are you? That would certainly explain the erratic output (and lack of).

The sub shouldn't have a HPF turned on, unless you mean the subsonic filter (hich is basically a HPF but generally not called HPF). The LPF ... depends. If your mids will reach down to 50hz, Id suggest setting the LPF to 50hz. But unless you are running dedicated mids, it will most likely be better if you set the LPF higher (in the 80-100hz range). It also depends on the install, vehicle, personal preferences in sound, power being run to the various speakers (which affects low end extension), etc etc... but Im speaking in very general terms.

EQ's are nice, and I almost always recommend them for car audio. Vehicle interiors are far far from the ideal listening environment, and an EQ can help smooth out the irregularities caused by this. But, this is more for mid and high range frequencies. Most EQ's only have one, maybe two adjustments even within the subbass region. But sure, added control is almost always a good thing. Just dont expect dramatic results from your sub's performance by adding one. I find the adjustable xover points and sub-level control alot of them have to be more beneficial than the actual boost/cut freq or two they provide in the subbass. Is that an ambiguous enough answer for you? lol Basically, yeah if you have the means, add an EQ. But not just for the subbass performance, it will help the entire system (and more so the mids/highs than the subs).

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not to steal the mans business, but you can build a box for $30-$35. If it really comes out that bad, just make a new one. You can walk away with a little experience to.

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
262Sdime said:
Not to steal the mans business, but you can build a box for $30-$35. If it really comes out that bad, just make a new one. You can walk away with a little experience to.
building is not the question here: designing is.

·
BodyDropped Member
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the input guys, im going to try and get one designed up! and of course i installed them in enclosures, about 1.25 cubic feet per sub sealed, and i just wasnt too happy with the performance, not doubting the subs, doubting the amp, hopefully with the new amp and possibly a new box everything will be good

1 - 14 of 14 Posts