S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Hello
11,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. What type are you?

2. Do you like what you do for a living or would you rather be on the other side?

3. (This one might offend people, so watch what you say)... Do you respect the people that work the opposite of you?

As for me:
1. Im a white collar worker - Electrical Engineer. I sit at a desk all day and have an office job. I dress business casual and jeans on fridays. I have occasional meetings, working with drafters, designers, and other engineers, and sometimes being sent out on a job site.

2. I really like what I do for a living, although sometimes I wish I could be more hands on. I like to build things, take things apart, fix things. My dad is kind of a jack of all trades. He's taught me everything I know... from electrical, plumbing, remodeling, roofing, automobiles, etc. If it weren't for him, I'd probably have no idea how to use half the tools I used to build my truck! lol. All and all, I wish I could have like a 70/30% mix of desk job and hands on.

3. I completely respect blue collared workers and those who went to school for trades. Like I said before, my dad is an artisan, he's taught me everything I know and it will definitely pay off someday when I have my own house to take care of. I already have family and friends coming to me with any car problem or if something at there house is broke and they want me to fix it (especially electronic stuff, lol). But anyways, some of my best friends went to trade school and they work their dicks off every day for a living. From Pipe fitters, to machinist, to HVAC guys, they work hard for their money and I honestly don't know if I would be able to do what they do day in and day out. So major respect on both sides of the fence for me.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
1. White collar (accountant) were a suit and tie to work monday thru friday
2. I like what I do and enjoy the office enviorment I'm in. But I do like to work with my hands so I guess thats were my truck comes in.
3. I have alot of respect for the other side most of my friends and family are blue collar and I feel without one side or the other, life would be alot more difficult. So I also have major respect for both sides.

·
SHENANIGANS!!!
5,860 Posts
1. White collar? I am in the Army but work administration all day in my office.
2. No I hate my job, would rather be back doing the high speed stuff.
3. Of course I do, I respect anyone that works because I know so many that don't. If your good at a job then it doesn't matter if it's white or blue collar. Your still productive.

·
---o00o--*(_)*--o00o---
109 Posts
1. White collar. I work at a small community college as their webmaster. It's pretty much a desk job except for the occasional meeting here and there.

2. This is the first white collar job I've ever had, been here for 2 1/2 years. Before this I worked on a chicken farm, washed dishes at a restaraunt, on-site carpet steam cleaner, night janitor, car detailer and a landscape laborer. When the weather outside is nice I definately miss the blue collar jobs.

3. Nothing but respect for the blue collar trades, after dealing with all the office drama for a couple years I often consider going back.

·
Ehhh!
2,285 Posts
1. No collar. lol. Um guess it would be considered blue collar.
2. I get to do stuff like high ropes courses, canoeing, kayaking, rock/wall climbing, rappelling, so it can be fun. Just temporary until I get started and finished in auto collision school. I have done the white collar type stuff. I just don't have the patience to sit at a desk all day long.
3. I have a lot of respect for anyone who can focus on something while sitting at the desk. I would end up being one of the "guy goes crazy in office" youtube vids. lol

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
i work with my dad doing hvac and thats pretty boring but he makes very good money doing it. and i also work security thats kinda white collar since i have to be very professional since they have to spend 20 bucks an hour to have me out there .

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
1. I have no idea what i am i run a bodyshop but i also paint the cars when we get busy and all equipment repair.
2. I would much rather be stricktly blue coolar but this is what pays the bills
3. I have been on both sides of the fence white collar sucks and blue collar is thankless

·
11,199 Posts
1. blue collar - line work/assembly at a bearing/hub factory (hopefully white collar when I get a job for my degree)

2. I like it for what it is. I get paid very good for a temporary job. I wouldn't want to make it long term though.

3. Some. More of the white collar people at the facility have big head syndrome.

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,145 Posts
1. Blue collar guy. I fix the white collared man's Cadillac.
2. I like what I do, but I hate the flat-rate when its slow like this, I'm honestly at the point right now where I'm not sure how I am going to pay my bills this month, and I don't have many bills.
3. I wish I had the patience and abilities to do the white collar job, I don't care for being in a sweltering shop all day and getting beans for pay and having to deal with some white collar'd idiots hair-brained idea and designs. I have respect for most white collar professions, but the designers at GM are just completely ****ing retarded, 60-70% of their designs could be so much simpler if they would try, I think it should be mandatory to work in a shop for 2 years before being allowed to design anything on a vehicle.
Yes, I wish I was white collar, I hate having to work my ass off for the very humble things I have but I was raised white collar and don't know much else and don't have the attention span to stay in college for 4 years.

·
Hello
11,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think I would base it on being military. But more what you are doing. And sometimes in any given day I would be at a desk and then end up doing something in the field. So maybe black, brown, green collar. lol
i agree. cant base it on military alone. Probably on what you are assigned to or working on.

·
Resident Wetback
11,267 Posts
1. White Collar

2. I do engineering work for a telephone company. I enjoy what I do, working in an office environment I have flexibility in my schedule, and if need be, I can take the laptop home and work from home. It would be nice to be outdoors more, and to be able to leave the desk more.

3. I have a lot of respect for blue collar workers.

I myself have been on both sides of the fence, I will do pretty much any kind of work blue or white collar if it will make me a buck.

·
Registered
358 Posts
1. Blue Collar- carpenter. i've been doing construction at the jersey shore for almost 8 years.

2. i love what i do, especially in the summer when all the ladies are walking around in bikinis going to the beach. i've been doing it straight out of high school and i'll probably be doing it my whole life. the construction business in jersey is alot more different than the rest of the country.

3. i have the utmost respect for white collar people because my brother is white collar. he went to college and now he is working for the manhattan federal courts in new york. he sees all sorts of celebrities. he even saw martha stewart when she was in trouble.

·
Super Moderator
16,419 Posts
White Collar

Security Administrator. I like what I do for a living

I respect everyone that goes out and busts their ass on a daily basis.

·
former owner
7,389 Posts
I never thought of it as White collar. I always thought of white collar as pertaining to higher up business type people, required to wear suits, CEOs and such. According to everyone else's comments ... I guess I'm white collar.

1. White Collar, I guess.
2. I like it. I am on the computer a lot, but I also go out into the machine shop and test lab and have my hands on equipment almost as much. Dress is office casual, but never jeans. There are those days that I will wear dark colored polos because I know I will be at higher risk of getting it dirty.
3. I've been on both sides. I crew up roofing houses, digging post holes and putting up fences, mowing lawns (other than just my own), building houses and sheds, salvaging materials during building tear down, miscellaneous auto work, etc, etc. So Yes, I definitely have an appreciation and respect for the blue collar worker.

·
Severed<>TIES
4,736 Posts
1.Blue Collar. I've done quite a few things, and all of them were hands on.

2.I like almost everything I do for money, and there is nothing that is "beneath me", or anything that I'm too good for. Whatever it takes, that's what I do.

3.I detail/wash cars, I cut lawns, I've worked in body shops, I've worked at dealerships, and I've even been a bus boy, or a cook at few restaurants/fast food places.

4. I respect ANYONE who is outthere makin' that money, but I'll probabally never get rich doing what I do, but it puts money in my pocket, and gives me PLENTY of free time to be with the one's in my life who really matter to me!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Blue collar here

I work as a Injection/Extrusion Process Technician, which is in a nutshell, I make plastic parts. Been doing it for over 18 years. Pay is good, and the machines i work on are like over sized playdo fun factories. I'm the guy the white collars give their "i got an idea" plans to ,then fix them to actually work.

I've always respected Engineers and such for the role they need to provide, Give them the idea,let them do the big-brain number stuff that they are good at, but when its time to do some wrenching, tell them to back away slowly.:haha:

Vonrak

1 - 20 of 66 Posts