S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This message

I am looking for my first S10 truck. Based on fuel mileage and some other factors (including cost!), and through the help of some other S10 owners, I've narrowed the search to a 1995-1997 V6 (auto) 2WD standard cab.

I won't be doing much pulling, only some occasional moderate carrying. Gas mileage is important to me, but so is reliability, ride quality, etc. Acceleration is only a factor if it is not enough for normal highway passing, merging, and standard urban driving.
The '96 gets the best mileage based on fueleconomy.gov.

Snce I am a student, I do not have too much to spend on this truck: $4k tops.


In your opinion, which year's S10, from 1995-1997, is the best? Is there a big difference?

Based on advice from another forum, I'm also planning to mod with EGR and air intake/exhuast; I'll make the money back eventually on gas savings...

Thank you,
Paul
 

·
Early Member
Joined
·
3,114 Posts
'95's are CPI and not much modifying of the engine can be done. If you are really concerned with fuel economy a 4 cyl. is the way to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your reply.

Originally I wanted a 4-cyl for that very reason. However, I've been convinced that the power of a 2.3L makes the S10 sluggish: I heard that most 4-cyl owners wish they would have had a V6, despite the decreased fuel consumption.
If this is true, then I'd be wasting all my money _anyways_ on a 4-cyl, so the moderate increase in fuel cost of a V6 seems reasonable:)

Is this your experience also?


Based on your answer, then, I'll consider the '96-97 models only. Does anyone else prefer one year over another, or know of any reasons to not get specific years?

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Gas mileage all depends on one major variable. The driver. Other variables are mechanical condition, towing, tire size. I have made my 97 S10 2.2L 2wd get 18 mpg or 30 mpg.

Honestly, if you are more concerned with fuel economy than acceleration get the 4cyl. Also since you indicated money is tight they are usually cheaper than V6's. You won't save any money for mods by driving a V6. And yes 4 bangers can be worked to provide a little more get up and go.

Those who say the 4 cyl dosen't get good mileage are the ones who drive around with the gas pedal firmly planted on the floor trying to keep up with vettes and vipers. Yeah I see those types on the road all over, revving the piss out of a little econo engine. and they wonder why they get such poor mileage.

By the way, I love my S-10. It has been extremly reliable, few minor problems, but it's a great inexpensive vehicle. Get a 97 if you can
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
B95 said:
'95's are CPI and not much modifying of the engine can be done. If you are really concerned with fuel economy a 4 cyl. is the way to go.
not all '95 s are CPI. 13% of 2wd's are CPI, the other 87% are TBI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
508 Posts
The easiest way is the intake, if it has the old style carburator air cleaner with the filter right over the engine it has TBI. If it has an intake tube going to an airbox its CPI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
890 Posts
my mileage is like 15-18 at times 95 tbi but its fast for stock ive run a 15.2 and its automatic minor mods
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top