S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently have a 10 inch polk ex sub on in a box on my tranny hump. the sub is 150 rms, hits down around 22 htz, and sounds pretty good. i was thinking, instead of having that sub there, what about 2 IDQ8's behind the seats. they are 150 rms each, hit down around 30 htz, and need a really small box(.25 cu ft.) and the mounting depth is only like 3.5 i think. which one would sound better, the way it is now, or with the idq8's behind each seat??? im running 280 watts rms. look here to see what i mean about the sub box on the tranny.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2351

·
Registered
201 Posts
The IDQ's will sound better, but you will need more than 280W to make them sound as good as they can be. IDQ severly underrates their products.

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
:idea:

scrap that and get a mtx sound system with 2- 10"'s behind the seat, i built one for my friends truck and it hits hard, any q's???? e-mail me [email protected]

·
Registered
201 Posts
:rolleyes: Unless you're recommending the Thunder 8000 or above, they will not even come close to Image Dynamics. And don't even get me started on how they overrate their stuff.

Just look at the specs on the RFL's. No sub 12" has 4" of Linear displacement. They talk BS constantly.

Their amps are even worse.

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
what brand are you taling about that over rates on the stuff?? mtx or that other brand ?

·
Registered
201 Posts
MTX

mtx overrates their products dramatically.
rockford fosgate, cerwin-vega, pioneer, jensen:rolleyes: as well as many other brands are guilty of the same practice.

NEVER go by what any manufaturer puts on their spec sheets. Not only do they over/under rate thier products, but they all use different methods of measuring the rating. Then they over/under rate it so the comsumer is more than likley getting a spec that is now where near the products actual abilities.

Always buy your audio products listening to them first, and if you are comparing two different products by listening to them, make sure they are in the EXACT sam environment.
A set of mtx subs might sound good in a shop w/ a good sound room, while a set of MA's or IDQ's will sound horrible if they are placed in a poorly build sound room.

Another rule of thumb, don't by audio gear from places like Best Buy or Circuit City. Go to the specialty shops. Sit in their demo cars.

This post was not meant to knock MTX or any other brand, I have a pair of MTX amps myself. I found out the hard way that aren't worth the list price. Or the wholesale for that matter.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Re: MTX

mtl_hed said:
mtx overrates their products dramatically.
rockford fosgate, cerwin-vega, pioneer, jensen:rolleyes: as well as many other brands are guilty of the same practice.

NEVER go by what any manufaturer puts on their spec sheets. Not only do they over/under rate thier products, but they all use different methods of measuring the rating. Then they over/under rate it so the comsumer is more than likley getting a spec that is now where near the products actual abilities.

Always buy your audio products listening to them first, and if you are comparing two different products by listening to them, make sure they are in the EXACT sam environment.
A set of mtx subs might sound good in a shop w/ a good sound room, while a set of MA's or IDQ's will sound horrible if they are placed in a poorly build sound room.

Another rule of thumb, don't by audio gear from places like Best Buy or Circuit City. Go to the specialty shops. Sit in their demo cars.

This post was not meant to knock MTX or any other brand, I have a pair of MTX amps myself. I found out the hard way that aren't worth the list price. Or the wholesale for that matter.
I agree and disagree with you on some of the companies listed above. I have Fosgate amps and they are really good and right on. I have Cerwin-Vega home audio 12's and they are absolutely amazing....I couldn't even come up with the power they recommend. They said 150-200 watts is perfect but I only have a receiver that puts 80 to them and they are amazing. Now pioneer, Jensen I agree but other well known companies like RF and CV are very good respectable companies unlike the others mentioned. Besides RF has some of the best subs made on the market.

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
its funny you should say that, fostgate, and mtx are the same thing just a diferent name

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
What do you mean by the same thing. They are 2 different companies aren't they? I haven't been into car sterio for a little while so if one bought out the other I wouldn't know but I would imagine they are 2 different companies.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I agree and disagree with you on some of the companies listed above. I have Fosgate amps and they are really good and right on. I have Cerwin-Vega home audio 12's and they are absolutely amazing....I couldn't even come up with the power they recommend. They said 150-200 watts is perfect but I only have a receiver that puts 80 to them and they are amazing. Now pioneer, Jensen I agree but other well known companies like RF and CV are very good respectable companies unlike the others mentioned. Besides RF has some of the best subs made on the market.
CV- yes they are a very good speaker company, If you buy the right stuff from them. The car stuff generally sucks. The home stuff is just like you said great. BUT they are so sensitive that while you can make a pair of towers scream w/ 100 Watts when you give those same towers 150 Watts they crumble.

RF - Yes they make decent products, they just charge WAY too much for what you get. Check out SoundStream instead. Approx the same prices for more power and a little better quality.

PS- for those of you who still think these brands are top of the line it is probably because you have never heard anything better in person. Go listen to MA Audio or Image Dynamics Subs. Try MMATs, SoundStream, or Legacy amps. Just give them a listen. You'll be hooked and wondering why you ever liked those lesser brands.

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
your right they are 2 diferenst companies but, if you look at the way they look, the way they perform, and there wattage its all the same, just a name, im not knockin fosgate, it kicks @zz but so does mtx. there are both good companies, and there even better cause they are made right here in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. not some bull-sh!t from the outside. i have had fosgate before. i have had kicker. now i have mtx. to me it just sounds cleaner, more percise, in the flow of the bottom end. but everyone has a choice and thats what KICKS @ZZ about the UNITED STATES, WE HAVE A CHOICE :thumbup:

·
Registered
99 Posts
if you use the same power, the image dynamics should be louder by a bit because you have more cone area then 1 10. also image dynamics is better quality then polk ex series. JMO

·
formally Lownoma
2,458 Posts
im happy with my 2 12 inch 8000's they sound good and i got them factory direct or cheap along with their biggest class d amp that takes 0 gauge direct the 1000d ....very very happy with it for the price and as far as i know mtx's rfl only comes in a 15 not 12....and fosgate has nothing to do with mtx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts