S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I'd ask those that have experience with a Wynjammer. I currently have a regular cab, shortbed 2wd w/4.3L auto and 3.42's. (2003) I am interested in some deeper gears. Would 4.10's be too much? I am ultimately planning for a Wynjammer along with some other bolt-ons. Thanks in advance.

-Rob

·
Dig Or Die=I Die
2,022 Posts
I think it would be to much if you plan on ever driving your truck on the highway.

That and I'd wait on gears. With just the jammer and those 3.42s your going to spin pretty bad. My 2dr Jimmy @6psi with the 3.42s and open dif. spinned half way down the 1/8. Installing a zexel helped a lot but I still spin. If I were to get stickier tires I'm about 100% sure the converter would just start slipping more.

So I'd say just get the jammer and then see where you are then. If you have an open dif and a 7.65 rear I wouldn't do anything other then maybe sticking a used zexel in it. You can get them for about $100.

If you have the 8.5" rear then it's worth spending money on.

If you end up wanting lower gears, you can get a 8.8 explorer rear that already has 3.73's and a LSD for cheaper then what a good set of gears and posi unit for the 7.65 will cost you.

·
Pill it till ya kill it
459 Posts
Leave the 3.42s in it. Power adders usually dont like a lot of gear and that 4L60E really doesnt like alot of gear either

·
Addicted to boost
767 Posts
I agree 3.42s are perfect for the stock tire size. The tire height will make a difference. These motors aren't very high revving which would be why you'd need such a tall gear. I'm at 3.73 and I'm coming thru the traps above my regular shift point so that I don't have to shift to overdrive. I would rather have 3.42s. At least until my motor gets a cam.

·
WICKED 6 RACING
2,189 Posts
Leave the 3.42s in it. Power adders usually dont like a lot of gear and that 4L60E really doesnt like alot of gear either
Not sure why you say power adders don't like a lot of gear. I'm running 4.33s in my 8.8. Ran them originally with the 275/60 now run on the 295/65. I now tons of people running anywhere from 4.10's to 5.12's with power adders going miles faster then me. Biggest difference if it's a auto or stick depending on how you gear it and what tire size. If I put 3.23s or 3.42's in the truck would be like a giant pig off the line instead of hook and fly.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I know that with the OE camshaft they don't like to rev much, but I'd prefer to be able to 60ft well providing I can get it to hook up. I also realize that the hwy rpm will be higher (typical cruise rpm from 2200 to about 2700) but that still beats not having an overdrive at all AND deep gears. Like a TH350 and 4.88's....that was hell on the hwy.

-Rob

·
Registered
658 Posts
The only power adder that doesn't like gears is going to be a turbo, I know some will argue all day long saying it wont effect the spool time of a turbo faster and will be just as fast if not faster with some shorter gears, but I'm a strong believer that gearing shouldn't be as short as a N/A or Super or Nitrous motor. I think 3.73's suit the 4.3l better with a turbo then some 4.33's would, especially with a 700 or 4l60, the first gear is way short for boost building, and second gear is over a 1:1 drop in gearing from 3.06ish to 1.63ish... (1.44 to be exact not really bad but not so nice either IMHO). Now with a th350 first gear is sorter meaning (second gear and first are a little closer ) so it would be fine to go up a notch to some 4.10's (or another size depending on what you was at). Now this is only for turbo motors any other type of motor i will say that running gears suited to the power band and rev range... also tire sizes should ALWAYS be taking into account, if your running some tall ass tires some more gear cant hurt.

·
Pill it till ya kill it
459 Posts
Not sure why you say power adders don't like a lot of gear. I'm running 4.33s in my 8.8. Ran them originally with the 275/60 now run on the 295/65. I now tons of people running anywhere from 4.10's to 5.12's with power adders going miles faster then me. Biggest difference if it's a auto or stick depending on how you gear it and what tire size. If I put 3.23s or 3.42's in the truck would be like a giant pig off the line instead of hook and fly.
I guess it depends on particular application. Take a blower car for instance. Short shift it and what does it do??? Blow the tires off. Turbo car??? Short shift it and watch it build boost. Nitrous??? Different because of how the power is made. In my experience my truck likes a 28 inch tire better than a 26 inch tire. I could only run in the mid 13s on a 26 inch tire. Switched to the 28s and it went 12.9Xs with no other changes. Just my experience. What works for me may not work for others and vice versa.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
ive got an ls1 in my ext.cab sonoma, makes 327 at the wheels, and with any gear bigger than a 3.42 all it does is blow the tires off. i ran my best time with a 3.42 on street tires.

I'm not trying to start in, but thats more driver error. swapping from 3.42's to 4.10's should shave 2/10ths off ur average 12-13 second car. Unless you had crappy rubber and an open diff, gearing should have helped you.

And from my own experience in relation to the turbo, gearing woke my truck up. Night and Day, went from 3.08's open dif to 3.55 with posi and it feel great. I am considering swapping to 4.10's to get more out of driveline since the motor is at its limits.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm not trying to start in, but thats more driver error. swapping from 3.42's to 4.10's should shave 2/10ths off ur average 12-13 second car. Unless you had crappy rubber and an open diff, gearing should have helped you.

And from my own experience in relation to the turbo, gearing woke my truck up. Night and Day, went from 3.08's open dif to 3.55 with posi and it feel great. I am considering swapping to 4.10's to get more out of driveline since the motor is at its limits.
I completely agree in your experience, 3.08's are just plain terrible for performance driving with almost any type of smaller motor, just not enough tq manipulation. I simply mean that if i was to pick gears for any race vehicle i would do so based on many things, including type of induction. 4.10's or somewhere abouts arnt going to be so bad in a smaller 4.3l turbo with tires to match. Since there is a need for some more tq manipulation from gearing, to a point that is. If your running through the trap bouncing off the rev limiter you aint got the right gearing or your other drive-train parts need some work (ie. tq converter). Now a bigger motor with more tq and turbo will probable run its best with less gear, just how turbos like it i guess.

I thought about gearing for awhile and i've determined a 3.73' gearing and my turbo LM7 will be a nice complement and get ok gas mileage even with my th350.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts