S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and I are converting our 1994 Extended cab with a V-6 to a carbed 355 with trick flow heads. We tried using the Advanced adapters headers, but they are too tight for clearance on the first pair of spark plugs due to the angled outlets. We tried V-8 vortec truck manifolds, but they cause clearance problems toward the rear of the engine and the frame. They are too wide. Which factory manifolds are the common ones used for the conversions for the S-10's and will not require notching the frame?

·
Registered
205 Posts
For stock manifolds, you can use a set from a 1982-up Camaro with the 2 bolt (low output) flange. If you want to use headers, you can use Sandersons, Hedmans, or other similar headers like these:

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I will have to look into the camaro manifolds then. The advanced adapters ones that we have now look almost identical to the sanderson's that you have shown. The main problem we have is clearance due to the angled plug outlets witht the heads, but I hope the camaro manifolds will help that.

Thanks again,

Kyle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try accel shorty plugs

I've got a '91 S-10 with a 305 TPI with world products heads and had similar problems that you're describing with my headman headers. The solution for me was to use Accel shorty header spark plugs. They're the same as standard but are a little more than 1/4 " shorter. Maybe this will help.

By the way, I hate headers, and my headman headers are definitely as cheap as they come (I'm very surprised I haven't blown a gasket yet, but those copper ones seem to last), but I probably gained 30 hp when I switched to the headman headers. No joke. I wish it were, 'cause the manifolds were REAL nice to work with.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SrfS DwLr

Thanks for the information regarding these spark plugs. I have heard of them, but was unable to find them anywhere around here. I would like to know what the part number was for the plugs you used and where I could purchase them if you know. Trick flow recommends using the accel-416 plug with their heads and if these shorty plugs work or are equivalent to the 416's I would use them instead. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Kyle

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the replies. We ended up using the Advanced Adapters shorty style headers for our conversion and have no problems with clearance. There is more room in our 1994 then their was with our 1985 with the headman headers. I would recommend them to anyone for clearance so far, I will update once the truck is has been ran. The only thing I would recommend is to ceramic coat them since they are bare steel and may not hold up to the heat from the small block.

I am currently look for part numbers for the accel shorty spark plugs (peanut plugs) if anyone would know part #'s I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Kyle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Accel Plug #?

I'm going by memory, but I believe the spark plug number is 561... but that's a guess... =)

If you ask for the Accel shorty header spark plugs, they should be listed in any good performance parts store's catalog. They're not uncommon by any means.

I hope this helps a little...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rob, thanks for the information regarding the plugs, I will look into them

1 - 9 of 9 Posts