S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting stuff together for my v-8 swap (1972 four bolt 350/600 cfm Holley carb/700R4 trans) and am wondering about the best transmission lockup control for this application.
The choices seem to be: Painless Wiring ($124.99), B&M ($159.99) and TCI ($76.99). I want the "most bang for my buck" - a system that works well for the lowest cost. What has anyone used, and what would you recommend?

Thanks!

Terry

·
Registered
447 Posts
I got the painless one and it works just fine. With the B&M u need the speedometer gear int he tail shaft i beleive and i didn't have that. Also, the B&M one allows you to manually turn it off and on, but with the painless one, its controlled by vacumm so when u get into it, it will automatically unlock.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, the B&M works off the cable -- but I have a cable! My trans is from a 1988 4.3L, and hadn't changed to electronic yet.
The Painless is vacuum operated, and I'm clueless as to how the TCI works, but it does allow for manual control.

The B&M seems easiest to hook up, if you have a cable.

Any comments?

Terry

·
Registered
447 Posts
The B&M has alot of wiring, the painless one is the easiest. The TCI basically just runs a 12 volt to the first plug and it locks up when it gets warm or something liek that, its a waste of money i think bc you can just run a 12 volt source wiring to the plug and it will lock up, but it will stay locked up not enless you wire it to the brake pedal so it unlocked when u hit the brakes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is either the wrong link or I'm stupid (a possibility!).

I can't find anything of use there -- are you sure that's the right site?

Suggetions?

Terry

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
the spl king
298 Posts
i have a kit from
shift technology products
superior solutions

its called hydraulic lock-up
part # k017

paid like 55-60 bucks for the kit

its just a valve and a spring to switch out of the valve body
and no wiring inside the tranny pan

·
Registered
202 Posts
I installed a B&m piece with a friend on his car. Nice setup, has an indicator light
that tells when it is locked or not. Has a slide bar to adjust the
speed at which it locks up. We installed a switch on the 12v source for the power so I could be turned off for racing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts