S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering which is easier to accomplish doing a V8 swap and why? I have a 96 s-10 and want to do a swap to either a 350 carbed or LS1. I'm looking for power but would rather have driveability and realability I'm a mechanic but looking for advice from ppl who have done this before. Any help anyone can give would be appreicated.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
my 96 is my back-up to and from work truck so it can be put down for awhile

·
Big Engine, Little Truck
639 Posts
If you subscribe to the theory that less wires means easier, than carb is the way to go. You can make just as much power either way. Only you know your individual mechanical abilities. Carbs can be totally reliable and drivable. The only advantage I can see from going the FI route is fuel milage. If passing emissions is an issue, you will have to go with FI. If not, and it's not a DD, I would say go carbed. Hell, even if it is a DD, I would go carbed.

·
Registered
860 Posts
why would you ever want to carb an LS1? multi port fuel injection is better but carbed motors are simpler to install.

and easyer way would be to swap a TBI 350 into your truck. is it a 4.3L truck? if it is thats just a plug and play swap for the most part. all you'd need is a tbi intake, v8 motor mounts and headers.

EDIT: you'd need a prom chip to but with the 4.3L prom it will still run. your timing curve will just be off alittle.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no truck is not a 4.4 its a 2.2

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that why i would like to put a V8 in it

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm new to this whole "put a bigger enginr in your truck thing" thats why i was wanting some advice on which would be easier. I think i'm going to put a carbed 350 in it. saw one in Jegs it was a 350 under 3 grand and had 290 hp/ 350 ft.lbs. of torque. it came with a edlebrock 600 carb. and performer intake, a distributor and a few other things i can't remember what though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is it still possible to put that engine in and keep my A/C? see thats what i mean i don't know about it all b/c it such a small compartment to put a larger engine into.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is there a good 350/tranny combo out there? i'm still taking suggestions from all of you. thanks for the insight and any help you can offer

·
MPG is overrated
2,408 Posts
1) yes it is possible to keep your ac unit. will it work with the new engine? depends... you may also need to trim your frame in order for the ac unit to fit.

2) as far as a trans goes. the most common transmissions used are:
- Turbo 350 (3 speed auto, good for drag racing, bad for highway cruising)
- Powerglide (2 speed auto, great for drag racing, horrible for everything else, great power handling capabilities)
- 700R4 (automatic, 3 speed with overdrive, comes stock on most vehicles mid 80's and up, a bit more expensive than the T-350)
- 4L60E (electronic version of the 700R4, i don't see the real point in why you would choose this over a 700R4, it's more wiring to worry about, and wiring sucks :p)
- NV3500 (five speed manual, common in many full size trucks, good power handling, good highway cruiser, this is the trans i'm going to be using)
- T-56 (6 speed manual, great power handling capabilities, a bit expensive, common in newer F-bodies, corvettes, so on> obviously a great highway cruiser)

those are the common transmissions used off the top of my head...

keep in mind that automatic transmissions are much better for drag racing if that's the route you're choosing. manual transmissions are better gas milage, and alot more fun :D. it all really depends on what your going to be using the truck for........

later,
flyinfinn

·
tastes like burning
763 Posts
if you call some salvage yards, or check ebay, you can get a complete engine/trans/harness/pcm/accessory system for the same cash as the 350 from jegs. if you score an aluminum headed lt1 or even a more rare lt4, you get 275-330 hp in stock form. if you are lucky enough to find an ls1 combo, you can have 300-400 hp depending on the engine. in my opinion, and from my own expensive experiance, you will do best to secure a complete car that was wrecked to get the majority of your parts from. you can go to local auctions and get major wrecks with great low mileage engines for dirt cheap. i mad the mistake of buying piece at a time and my swap cost me a little over three grand. that was hitting junk yard after junk yard to get everything. little did i know, that i could have gotten the car i robbed most of the parts from for $2 grand instead of paying for individual prices for everything. if you can do the wiring yourself or want to purchase a complete drop in harness, that is the biggest difference in the carbed/efi debate. power is a byproduct. you can build any engine to be just as good as another. personal preference and cleanliness of the engine compartment is the other major hurdle. and last but not least, you need to have a set budget for your swap. you can go my route, junkyard parts, machining, and settling for second best, or you can go full price, high dollar parts, paying someone to do the work for you, and more chrome than any rap video you have ever seen. it all depends on those three items. if you have the v8 bug in your shorts, read the sticky and do some searches. theres lots of material to cover. then decide if you want to tackle the swap.

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
2,089 Posts
camaro1986z28 said:
why would you ever want to carb an LS1? multi port fuel injection is better but carbed motors are simpler to install.
Really? why did HotRod get almost 30hp by adding a carb to an LS1? lol...:haha:

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
Because they are a magazine trying to sell a carbed intake....

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
Oh yeah, carbed is an easier swap unless you love spagetti...

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
2,089 Posts
yup, but he knew the answer, lol... It's plain as day a carb will be easier... but it's what you want from the carb or FI setup

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i would like to spend at the most 5grand. is that possible? keep in mind that as of right now i have nothing (when it comes to my swap). and now that everyone knows how much i want to spend does that meet the CARB'd./ FI category? Damn that just doesn't sound like enough when you think of engine,tranny,new rear end. list keeps going ya' know.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts