S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
THE Registered User
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, i know this is a stupid question but here goes:

I have an 03 S10 VIN X, are these Vortec heads? I keep hearing that GM put vortec badging on the 4.3 even though they didnt have vortec heads. Im trying to buy a second set of heads so that i can get my machine shop to machine em without me having to have my truck out of commission.

Thanks for any feed back.

·
Registered
658 Posts
yes, anything from 96 and up has true vortec heads. you can tell because they have 4 intake bolts per head and not 6 like all the other 4.3 heads.

·
THE Registered User
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool. Thanks man that saves me alot of time and head aches.

·
Banned
2,361 Posts
who the hell told you GM put vortec badging on non-vortec headed motors? thats the only thing that makes a vortec motor... a vortec motor... the vortec heads.

·
Registered (Ab) User
4,137 Posts
who the hell told you GM put vortec badging on non-vortec headed motors? thats the only thing that makes a vortec motor... a vortec motor... the vortec heads.
'94 & '95 CPI motors say "Vortec" on the air intake.

·
Registered
658 Posts
some later model tbi's also had vortec plastic valve covers

·
THE Registered User
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah what Yogi and cycle252 said. I saw it on some older posts and i wanted to double check before i spent a bunch of money on something i might not be able to use.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
yes, anything from 96 and up has true vortec heads. you can tell because they have 4 intake bolts per head and not 6 like all the other 4.3 heads.
There is no such thing as true and not true vortec heads. There are early style and late style, but both are true vortec heads

·
THE Registered User
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what casting number am i looking for? Or are there any other identifing markings? And correct me if im wrong but arent all the combustion chambers on Vortec heads kidney bean shaped?

·
THE Registered User
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Yogi. That helped.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
18,045 Posts
The desirable "Vortec" heads are the 96+ heads (all the same) The 01+ heads came with roller rockers from the factory, still though, same casting.

·
THE Registered User
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So basically get the 01 up heads for roller rockers and 96 up for the casting that will work with my intake? Correct?

·
THE Registered User
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool. thanks for all the help guys.

·
THE Registered User
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered (Ab) User
4,137 Posts
I have one more question. Does anyone know if GM still has replacement heads? Available as bare castings? I believe I found the casting number. Also here is a link for the ebay auction for the heads. Good deal? Tell me what you guys think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/chevrolet-12557113-vortec-heads-4-3-mercruiser-s10-82_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ140236315516
WOW!! $199 EACH!! They must think that these heads are really special! :cool:

·
THE Registered User
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Junkyard? Or does GM still cast replacments?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts