S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

I am way overdue for a differential fluid change and thus want to change the fluid in my rear and front differential. Front differential looks pretty intimidating so I plan to change the fluid in my rear differential first. Research on which fluid to use did not lead me to a clear answer, so I'm turning to you guys for help. I have a G80 differential according to the codes in my glove compartment. All responses are appreciated.

·
Registered
686 Posts
This is what a person at a dealership I know told me for my 2003 S10 4.3 2WD G80

GM 88900401 and you do not use and LSD additive. They no longer recommend the use of 80w-90.

Check your axle seals before servicing, they may need to be replaced.

And of course others can obviously chime in as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what a person at a dealership I know told me for my 2003 S10 4.3 2WD G80

GM 88900401 and you do not use and LSD additive. They no longer recommend the use of 80w-90.

Check your axle seals before servicing, they may need to be replaced.

And of course others can obviously chime in as well.
Thanks for the reply

Can I use any fluid, or just the part number you mentioned?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
just go to your local shop and pay the $50 bucks and have it serviced. By the time you jack up the truck, get underneath, drain, new gasket, refill, have all that stinky diff fluid laying around, it's not worth it. Save the DYI for something else, but let someone else do the diffs. trust me on this one.

·
Registered
686 Posts
just go to your local shop and pay the $50 bucks and have it serviced. By the time you jack up the truck, get underneath, drain, new gasket, refill, have all that stinky diff fluid laying around, it's not worth it. Save the DYI for something else, but let someone else do the diffs. trust me on this one.
It is worth it knowing it is done right. I see a lot of horror stories about services in regards to G80's because they use the incorrect fluid or end up putting in LSD additives. If you got a local shop you know you can trust and will do it right then sure. I certainly would not trust a quick lube place that is for sure and I would make sure you have record proof of what fluid the shop actually uses.

@Isanchez01 I personally do not know if there is any difference between that and regular fluid all I know is that is what I was told by someone I know of who actually works at the dealership and actually looked up my vehicle for me by vin number.

I recommend you try calling your local dealership and ask them to verify for you and they may be able to get the correct fluid at a cheaper price compared to online then you will have at least another opinion on if the part # given to me is the same as the part # your dealership gives to you so you can make a more definitive decision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts