S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reason to believe that the diff on my 2wd 2dr 5 speed blazer is on its way out. I want to replace it and upgrade it with a junkyard posi diff so I can start doing full burnouts instead of one-wheel-peels, but I've heard that 4wd posi rear ends wont fit on a 2wd.. Is this true?
Which posi/LSD differentials will fit my truck and how can I tell them apart??

Thanks!!!

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,571 Posts
What year?? If you have a 2wd 5spd, chances are you have the elusive 8.5" rear that everyone is looking for. Look at the axle tubes about 3" out from the center section. If the narrow, it's an 8.5. You'd be better off taking it in to a com patent shop and having it rebuilt with a new post. I'm sure other will be in to suggest their favorite locker.

·
Registered
850 Posts
If you have a 2wd your should interchange with any other S 2wd. l think the measurement from axle to axle is 55.5" If you have the 8.5 repair and keep it. If not find the later 7.6" with the gear of your choice and swap the whole rear. You can usually find a complete rear cheaper that repairing a damaged one,,,,,where I live anyway;

·
Been there Done it
8,563 Posts
If you have a 7.5/6 now and go to a 4wd 8.5/6 they can be made to work easily.
Be aware that ZR2's rear ends are even wider and would be a problem.
The difference in width can be cured with Corvette or 4th gen Camaro wheels. The 50-58 mm positive offset is right around the 2" width difference. S10's loook good with Vette wheels. Just put 2" spacers on the fronts.

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
490 Posts
If your going to abuse the rear axle, maybe consider getting a ford 8.8 axle and use two short side axle shafts and axle tubes to center it under your truck. Have the hubs drilled with the Chevy bolt pattern to keep your current wheels. Drop in some kind of locker and go have some fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What year?? If you have a 2wd 5spd, chances are you have the elusive 8.5" rear that everyone is looking for. Look at the axle tubes about 3" out from the center section. If the narrow, it's an 8.5. You'd be better off taking it in to a com patent shop and having it rebuilt with a new post. I'm sure other will be in to suggest their favorite locker.
It's a 2003, I'll go check the axles tomorrow. I believe its an open diff because I've had it up on jacks and the wheels turn opposite directions when you spin them by hand.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Post a pic of your current differential
If you have an 8.5 it is well worth rebuilding no matter the parts needed.
If you have a 7.625 axle don't waste time, energy or money on it. No matter what you do to it, it will still have the small ring and pinion that seems to eat itself.
At this point it is worth it to find a 8.8 from a 1996-2000 Explorer in stock form that axle will withstand A LOT of abuse. The only down side is you will need to either change wheels to corvette style or backspacing or redrill the axles to retain GM bolt pattern or use Mustang wheels.... Many options there.
You can also have the rear narrowed by using 2 short side axles, redrill the axles and rotors to retain stock spacing wheels.

Reactions: 98Sonosls

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Post a pic of your current differential
If you have an 8.5 it is well worth rebuilding no matter the parts needed.
If you have a 7.625 axle don't waste time, energy or money on it. No matter what you do to it, it will still have the small ring and pinion that seems to eat itself.
At this point it is worth it to find a 8.8 from a 1996-2000 Explorer in stock form that axle will withstand A LOT of abuse. The only down side is you will need to either change wheels to corvette style or backspacing or redrill the axles to retain GM bolt pattern or use Mustang wheels.... Many options there.
You can also have the rear narrowed by using 2 short side axles, redrill the axles and rotors to retain stock spacing wheels.
Here’s a pic I got. Your suggestion about using a 8.8 is solid, but honestly this car is just a daily for me while I save for a project car. I just want to make it a little more fun By upgrading instead of just replacing broken parts.
What lug pattern is on the 8.8 hubs?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
That looks like a 7.5/7.625 rear.
Weigh your options for what is best for you. I still say the 8.8 is the most economical choice due to availability, durability and cost.
8.8 Explorer axle 65-200
Precision conversion U joint is 25-30
Fitting for main brake line to axle 5.00
Brake fluid 10.00
Redrill axle bolt pattern 80-100
Or purchase 5x4.50 to 5x4.75 spacers that we 1.25" thick for 65-80.00

·
Registered
850 Posts
I can't see **** looking at that picture but it's actually east to id the 8.5. It will have enlarged axle tubes just before going into the gear housing and at the bottom it will have two squared off right angles instead of two sharp downward pointing tits.
20200615_104131.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts